About the Role:
As an Artist at DreamBox Learning you will work with a team of artists, UI/UX designers, curriculum designers (teachers), and software engineers to create art assets for interactive “virtual tools” and engaging experiences that teach math to millions of students from kindergarten to 8th grade. This process involves working with the team to create and integrate art assets that help turn complex math concepts into beautiful, easy-to-use, and intuitive experiences that work for all ages.
Creating a fun and educational student experience is at the heart of how we are transforming math experiences for millions of kids. In order to meet this amazing challenge, it is critical that you have experience creating and integrating art assets for games and interactive experiences.
To be successful you will need to have an exceptional knowledge of Adobe Animate, strong digital illustration skills, the ability to follow different art styles, good design sense, and familiarity integrating art assets in a software development environment. Successful candidates also have an aptitude for solving technical art challenges, as this role requires an understanding of how to create beautiful, interactive visuals within the technical constraints of web-based software and touchscreen devices.
We have a goal to make our product intuitive, educational, fun, and engaging. To accomplish this goal, you will apply your artistic skillset and games/software experience to help evolve our lessons and student environments with new lessons, ongoing lesson improvements, content updates, and other features that affect the overall student experience.
Take a look at some of our product lessons and student environments here.
Local applicants only will be considered for this position.
What You'll be Doing:
- Create art assets and animations primarily in Adobe Animate based on existing visual direction, design wire-frames, and prototypes.
- Partner with developers in the iteration and final implementation of assets within the product.
- Help resolve any art-related issues in the product.
- Make sure the art asset library is properly organized and well-maintained.
- Collaborate with Art Director and UX on how best to turn static designs into engaging interactions.
- Create illustrations, icons, simple animations and various other art assets as needed for other projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art or Animation or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of art experience in game and/or software development using Agile/SCRUM methodologies.
- Strong traditional and digital drawing and illustration skills and the ability to mimic various art styles based on initial direction—cartoony, stylized realism, clean minimalist.
- Aptitude for solving technical art issues involving Animate/Flash within development. Example: you can help diagnose why an art asset is causing issues in production and resolve the issue.
- Experience creating art assets for in-game UI, including icons, avatars, and badges.
- Foundational animation and motion design skills.
- A solid art foundation in character and environment design, graphic design, color theory and composition.
- Exceptional knowledge and experience with Adobe Animate/Flash—preference is given to the artist who has created Animate/Flash assets within a game and/or software development pipeline.
- Proficient in Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Familiarity with version control (Sourcetree/Git, SVN).
- Animate/Flash prototyping experience for User Interface design.
- Traditional animation and motion design skills.
- Proficient in Audition and After Effects.
- Experience creating concept art for games.
Read Full Job Description