Information Content Editor
At Leafly, we believe cannabis is good for the health and happiness of the world, and we help people find it. Whether you’re new to cannabis and are curious about its benefits and effects, a medical marijuana patient seeking the right strains and products to help mitigate your illness, an adult consumer wanting to supplement your wellness regimen, or a cannabis enthusiast sniffing out the latest deals and potent finds, our website and apps are the bridge connecting millions of people with safe, legal access to the right cannabis products for them. (Think of us as your sativa spirit guide. Your indica indicators. Your helpful hybrid hunter! ...Okay, we’ll stop with the corny alliteration. Sorry. We’re just really excited about helping people find cannabis.)
We’re driving the industry towards a fully legal, regulated, and destigmatized future, but we need some talented, passionate, creative, and focused passengers to help get us there faster. Our teams love to collaborate, problem-solve, and take the occasional foosball or Smash Bros. break to clear their heads. Want to do those things with us? If you think you’re the perfect fit for the below position, we’d love for you to join our crew!
What You Will Be Doing:
As an Information Editor for Leafly News, you will be responsible for crafting content that answers the many health, science, wellness, and product-related questions being asked by cannabis novices and enthusiasts alike. Help educate visitors who are new to cannabis and want to learn more about it without feeling overwhelmed by all of the information and products available. Work on engaging storytelling for our diverse audience that educates them through articles, resources, videos, gifs, infographics, podcasts, and other platforms that will help enlighten millions of new and existing cannabis consumers. At the crossroads of cannabis, tech, education, and lifestyle, this position at the world’s largest cannabis news outlet provides one of the most unique and exciting opportunities available in the media industry today.
We’re looking for an experienced editor with a sharp eye for stories and an understanding of content strategy. Applicants should be self-starters, yet unafraid to get their hands dirty and pitch in wherever needed. Successful candidates will also have the ability to develop succinct, accessible consumer resources with accuracy, possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, bring an unmatched work ethic to the table, and have a vision for driving Leafly News forward in a way that aligns with the company’s overall vision and roadmap in their capacity as an information editor.
- Ideate, write, and edit stories at a high quality and high cadence
- Work with Leafly News’ pool of freelance writers to generate informational content
- Fulfill research needs within the Information team
- Work with SEO, data, photography, video, marketing, sales, and product teams to evolve Leafly information content and maximize its impact
- This is a position for a hardworking, self-starting, meticulously organized candidate who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- 3+ years’ experience in journalism and publishing, preferably at a digital publication or magazine
- Experience with digital media and storytelling (familiarity with multimedia approaches to content, including videos, podcasts, or infographics, is preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain poise under stress and to respond to requests quickly and logically
- Good understanding of social media platforms/copy and SEO best practices
- Strong understanding of digital publishing best practices
- A degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or other relevant area of study
- Expertise of Microsoft Office, knowledge of Google suite, and willingness to work closely with tech teams via communication tools such as Slack, Trello, and the Atlassian suite
- Demonstrate impeccable written and verbal communication skills, as well as a command of AP style
- Experience with Wordpress or a similar CMS system is preferred
- Knowledge of cannabis science and products is a plus
- Must be at least 21 years of age
Please include a sample of writing and editing that best displays your voice, style and capabilities with your resume.
*Have you experienced the Leafly app? We are actively seeking individuals that understand our product and have a zest for learning more. Download on iOS and Android today and subscribe to our newsletter for updates.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. Leafly is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status will receive consideration for employment. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process or employment with us, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
Please, no phone calls/no recruiting agencies.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.
Read Full Job Description