Lead Content Strategist, Content Systems at Expedia Group
Do you want to use your content strategy skills to help people go places? Do you enjoy complicated content challenges at enterprise scale? Let's talk about the growing UX content strategy team at Expedia. The content strategy discipline has big things ahead of it in 2019 and we need leaders who want to help grow the influence and practice across the organization.
As a Lead Content Strategist at Expedia, you will be joining in a multidisciplinary design team to co-create useful, meaningful, and cohesive product experiences and narratives rooted in relevancy, simplicity, and delight. In this role, you will define content (photos, descriptions, structured data, user-generated reviews, and more) that helps answer traveler questions about where to go and where to stay. You will work on the presentation of destination and product content in the experience as well as the systems and structure that deliver that content.
You’re perfect for this role if you’re a content strategy player coach with one or more of the following skills: information architecture, storytelling, information management, content design, or UX writing. You are a skilled communicator who is good with words, and a strategist who can create, curate, edit, and align large volumes of information. You are also a systems-thinker who thinks about content organization and structure. You can lean on standards but you love to experiment and move quickly.Specific things you’ll be doing:
- Dig into user research to identify content needs and gaps across multiple stages of the user journey
- Assess competitor content and user experiences for content coverage, quality, gaps, and emerging content trends
- Conceptualize creative ways to use original, licensed, and user-generated content to meet user needs
- Think about content as a system, developing and maintaining content standards as a way to influence both quality and efficiency for experiences
- Influence the back-end systems that deliver our content to improve the experience for users
- Write clear and consistent product content — everything from broad positioning to tooltips to notifications
- Communicate your findings, recommendations, and content specifications through content matrices, user scenarios, presentations, comps, prototypes, and style guides
- Work collaboratively with fellow content strategists as well as designers, engineers, business strategists, product managers, SEO specialists, and many others to conceptualize content-focused experiences and bring your work to life
- Describe and present your methods, explorations, and rationale along with a recommendation to varied audiences
- Contribute to the elevation of content strategy as a discipline within Expedia Group.
- Lead content strategy discipline-specific projects such as brand and standards development, editorial process, or team skill development
Being a strong writer and communicator is a given — you're a designer and words are your design language. You’re also a systems thinker who understands content structure and how to align information across systems and touchpoints. An understanding of UX, technology, and the role content plays in design is key. You advocate for solutions that balance the needs of customers with business objectives.
We know there's no single path to becoming a content strategist. So, we look for:
- More than 7 years professional experience with content strategy for large enterprise web sites or applications, especially consumer-facing and transaction-focused interfaces
- Understanding of the development, sourcing, and governance of both structured and unstructured content types
- Knowledge of mobile first and responsive content strategies
- Experience writing and revising content for the user interface
- Experience with localization and writing for a global audience
- Experience with the UX lexicon and working in the UX design process
- Understanding of SEM and SEO
- Strong communication and facilitation skills that encourage both ideation and collaboration
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field — English, Communications, Linguistics, Journalism, HCI, Design
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.