Senior Technical Writer
Digital Control Incorporated is the world’s leading supplier of underground locating and steering products for the horizontal directional drilling (HDD) industry. Digital Control Inc (DCI) invented, and was first to market, innovative underground guidance technology allowing contractors to control the pitch angle of the drill head tooling and measure its depth below ground. Since the introduction of this revolutionary technology over 25 years ago, Digital Control has been at the forefront of trenchless technologies that enable the efficient distribution of underground utilities, fiber optic, telecom, gas, sewer and water lines. Our products are used around the world by distribution contractors and are valued for their durable design, ease of use and Digital Control’s uncompromising commitment to customer service.
DCI is seeking a Senior Technical Writer who will plan, organize, and deliver end user documentation for our electronic products and web applications. This role will work closely with product and engineering teams to develop technical documentation that describes complex products in a way that is easy to understand for our end users. If you are articulate, innovative, passionate about creating great technical documentation and fun to work with, we would love to talk with you!
This position is based in Digital Control’s headquarters in Kent, WA.
- Develop and write professional easy to read user guides, quick reference guides, operating instructions, and other user documentation for new and existing products
- Maintain documentation on existing DCI products to standards
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects with unique timelines and deliverables
- Deliver technical publications to project schedules and requirements
- Work with Product Management to understand end user functionality to define end user documentation and work flows
- Prepare text and develop layouts for print or electronic publications
- Coordinate the translation of manuals, instrument displays or web based help content.
- Review translated manuals for completion and formatting and incorporate translated text into manuals being revised
- Employ brand standards applicable to technical documentation
- Act as a liaison for Technical writing projects between Product Management, Engineering, Customer Service, Legal and Regulatory teams
Successful applicants will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in English or Technical Communications or related field.
- 7 or more years of relevant technical writing and editing experience
- Excellent communications and collaboration skills
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Experience with documenting physical devices and software
- Proven ability leading user documentation development projects with minimal direction
- Proven ability applying user-centered design principles to user documentation.
- Experience working in partnership with other disciplines such as engineering, product management, customer service and regulatory and drive project completions.
- Experience with HTML and the use of CSS
- Focus/interest in localization (no specific language skills required)
- Experience with MadCap Flare or translation management tools
- Construction industry experience and exposure to ISO 9000 and documentation standards desired.
- The ability to roll with frequent priority and content changes
- High level of attention to detail, accuracy and quality of your projects
- Great ability to manage priorities, deadlines, and communicate progress of projects
Digital Control Inc. offers an extraordinary work atmosphere surrounded by beautiful plants. We have an open work environment that includes dogs working happily next to their owners and a loft-space for employees to unwind (Xbox Kinect, ping pong, some light free weights/yoga mats and foosball!).
Our outstanding benefits package includes: comprehensive medical and dental insurance; short-term/long-term disability; generous 401(k) matching program; discretionary quarterly bonuses; tuition reimbursement; paid time off; paid holidays; professional development; wellness programs (where we get a little competitive from time-to-time and have some fun); catered lunches; community giving back programs; holiday parties and more!
We are committed to providing a benefit plan that is at the top of our industry. This plan puts employees first in order to encourage a healthy work/life balance which is a guiding principle here. This position will work with a talented and supportive group of individuals who work hard and know how to have a lot of fun!