Sr. Content Developer
Avalara needs a writer who's willing to go first. You already know how to create content for the product user interface and for the web. Now, you're ready to figure out how to do that for a company that's growing fast and globally. Tax is just the beginning - we’re on track to be part of every transaction in the world. We need a senior content developer to join our growing team and help us craft the best customer experience on the planet.
You already know your craft, and you're ready to apply your skills to new territory. You have experience solving problems, figuring it out, and making things happen. You get the big picture, and your content enables the full customer experience from first-contact to mastery.
- You use words to make connections, whether you’re creating user interface text, web articles, or media
- Your writing is simple and conversational
- You’re inquisitive, asking why you’re doing something before you do it
- You collaborate well, and you want to contribute to team conversations
- You understand that great communication involves iteration, so you enjoy giving and receiving feedback
- You love to learn and can’t wait to share your knowledge with others.
- You have great ideas and you’re willing to try them
- You’re not afraid to ask questions
- You've already re-written this job description (bonus points for sharing your suggestions)
About the Job
- Collaborate with product groups and subject matter experts to understand our product plans and technology.
- Get to know your customers so you create the content they need, and then use data to improve their experience.
- Identify the right content strategy for each phase of the customer lifecycle.
- Write clear, simple, conversational text that gives the customer context and useful information.
- Identify how our methods can improve, working with other teams to develop and implement improvements.
- Track and communicate project status, and deliver what you promise.
- Constantly seek and respond to stakeholder and customer feedback.
Qualifications you really need to have already
Be prepared to share samples demonstrating the qualifications below as part of the interview process.
- Experience creating assistance content for external customers (5+ years)
- Experience creating text that’s part of the product experience, such as user interface text, event messages, labels, or on-screen assistance (3+ years)
- Experience translating technical information into conversational language (3+ years)
- Experience collaborating with software development teams and turning product information into customer-facing content (3+ years)
- Demonstrated ability to analyze customer needs and develop a writing plan to meet those needs
- Experience using authoring tools to create and publish content on the web
- Ability to use the standard software tools and, more importantly, the ability to learn new ones