As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring senior software development engineers to join our team. Our team builds and manages the services from ingestion of content to the delivery to clients. This includes transcoding, encryption, DRM, packaging, CDN integration and URL vending to name a few. We build workflow to deliver both VOD and Live services. To deliver best in class experience we are looking for a candidate that has deep and broad understanding of streaming and compression technologies. The ideal candidate is familiar with variety of video quality metrics, is familiar with video and audio codecs and understands streaming protocols like HLS and DASH.
1. Key Influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning.
2. Show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs.
3. Are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions.
* Expertise and experience of Video and/or image processing and compression algorithms and standards, computer vision and/or machine learning
* 5 years professional experience in software development Expertise in algorithm designs (specialized in multimedia areas) and complexity analysis
* 5-10 years experience with video/image processing/compression.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
* Expertise and experience of streaming protocols (such as DASH and HLS), and tools for encoding/decoding/muxing/demuxing (such as ffmpeg, x264, x265, MP4Box, isoviewer), and content protection (CENC)
* Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
* Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
* Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.