BI Manager at Flexport (Bellevue, WA)
Fast, accurate insights are integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll lead a cross-functional “squad” of data analysts to transform data into action via quantitative strategy, statistical analysis, data visualization, and data modeling initiatives.
You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to improve an industry by analyzing the new operating system for global trade.You will:
- You will lead your data cross-functional domain of data analysts in building self-service tooling (e.g. dashboards, SQL code repositories, data dictionaries, and data catalogs) and advanced analytics to power data use cases throughout the enterprise
- Develop your analysts along their career paths and skill generation, as their primary coach and support system, connecting them to the rest of development opportunities at Flexport. Successfully setting up our team members for their next role, whatever that may be, is a critical responsibility we take seriously.
- Be the primary, strategic partner for the senior VP stakeholders supported by your squad: understanding their requirements, interpreting needs into bi-weekly sprint plans, and using your analytical mindset to direct the implementation of solutions ranging from process improvements to statistical models to actionable dashboards.
- Own the development and execution of your domain’s data roadmap, including product vision, end-to-end project management, and outcome responsibility.
- Collaborate with your peer analytics managers and data leadership to ideate and implement organizational improvements for Data during Flexport’s high-growth, rapid evolution.
- Contribute and grow the culture of data excellence on our team by bringing mature empathy, best practices, and processes to our organization.
- Proven experience being a Player-Coach, managing cross-functional teams and projects with multiple contributors.
- 7+ years of experience in related analytical, business systems and data engineering fields; including 2+ years of experience as a People Manager leading high performance analytical teams, including hiring, coaching, and promoting individual contributors.
- Experience communicating and strategizing with senior business leadership; next-level communication skills and empathy to understand and discover business pain points and build solutions to improve the user experience at all levels of the global trade process.
- Proven experience with advanced analytical and statistical methods, including applied work with time series analysis, regression analysis, and experimental design
- SQL fluency with experience using a scripting language like Python or R; strong Excel fundamentals a plus.
- Data visualization tool experience, preferably Looker (or Tableau or similar tool)
- Experience with dbt, Airflow, or similar analytics workflow tools
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities simultaneously and drive projects to completion.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics or related field preferred.
- Experience at a fast-growing company that lives and breathes data.
- The opportunity to take a prominent role defining the culture of our rapidly growing Data org, further maturing an organization that in 3 years has grown 8x and become international across 8 offices
- The exciting growth challenge to learn to build a self-sustaining, high-impact, fast-moving analytics team
- Analytical ownership – discover the highest value-add projects and see them through from ideation to impact.
- Bridge experience into paths in data leadership and management, specifically towards becoming a manager of managers, broader data org leadership, and/or transitioning into product management.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.