Fast, accurate insights are integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll lead a cross-functional “squad” of data analysts to transform data into action via quantitative strategy, statistical analysis, data visualization, and data modeling initiatives.
You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to improve an industry by analyzing the new operating system for global trade.You will:
- You will lead your data cross-functional domain of data analysts in building self-service tooling (e.g. dashboards, SQL code repositories, data dictionaries, and data catalogs) and advanced analytics to power data use cases throughout the enterprise
- Develop your analysts along their career paths and skill generation, as their primary coach and support system, connecting them to the rest of development opportunities at Flexport. Successfully setting up our team members for their next role, whatever that may be, is a critical responsibility we take seriously.
- Be the primary, strategic partner for the senior VP stakeholders supported by your squad: understanding their requirements, interpreting needs into bi-weekly sprint plans, and using your analytical mindset to direct the implementation of solutions ranging from process improvements to statistical models to actionable dashboards.
- Own the development and execution of your domain’s data roadmap, including product vision, end-to-end project management, and outcome responsibility.
- Collaborate with your peer analytics managers and data leadership to ideate and implement organizational improvements for Data during Flexport’s high-growth, rapid evolution.
- Contribute and grow the culture of data excellence on our team by bringing mature empathy, best practices, and processes to our organization.
- Proven experience being a Player-Coach, managing cross-functional teams and projects with multiple contributors.
- 7+ years of experience in related analytical, business systems and data engineering fields; including 2+ years of experience as a People Manager leading high performance analytical teams, including hiring, coaching, and promoting individual contributors.
- Experience communicating and strategizing with senior business leadership; next-level communication skills and empathy to understand and discover business pain points and build solutions to improve the user experience at all levels of the global trade process.
- Proven experience with advanced analytical and statistical methods, including applied work with time series analysis, regression analysis, and experimental design
- SQL fluency with experience using a scripting language like Python or R; strong Excel fundamentals a plus.
- Data visualization tool experience, preferably Looker (or Tableau or similar tool)
- Experience with dbt, Airflow, or similar analytics workflow tools
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities simultaneously and drive projects to completion.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics or related field preferred.
- Experience at a fast-growing company that lives and breathes data.
- The opportunity to take a prominent role defining the culture of our rapidly growing Data org, further maturing an organization that in 3 years has grown 8x and become international across 8 offices
- The exciting growth challenge to learn to build a self-sustaining, high-impact, fast-moving analytics team
- Analytical ownership – discover the highest value-add projects and see them through from ideation to impact.
- Bridge experience into paths in data leadership and management, specifically towards becoming a manager of managers, broader data org leadership, and/or transitioning into product management.
- We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.