Data Analyst at Ookla
Ookla’s data science team is looking for a data analyst to help us dive deep to analyze, understand, and communicate key insights about internet access and performance around the world. Our company, known for Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem. All that usage provides countless ways to dissect and analyze our data. It also empowers us to help make the internet better, faster, and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
As a data analyst, your primary focus will be enabling internal and external customers to gain insights from the vast Ookla dataset. Successful applicants will have an inquisitive nature, a creative approach to solving problems, excellent communication skills, and a strong drive for data advocacy. We’re especially interested in candidates who also have experience with data journalism, broadband networking technologies, cloud computing, or developing reproducible software.
We are people first, employees second at Ookla, and we know there is no one perfect path to any job. If you’re excited about the work we’re doing and think you have a creative new approach, please apply whether or not your experience matches the job description. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report here].
- Support the creation of public-facing content pieces including articles, blog posts, and market reports by producing custom data sets, analyses, and data visualizations
- Support teams across the business through exploratory analysis, custom reporting, and quality assurance
- Work closely with technical account managers to resolve customer data questions
- Create tools for identifying data trends and telling stories
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- Collaborative mindset with a strong drive to learn from and teach others
- The ability to communicate and tell stories with data through data visualization, statistical analysis, and writing
- Strong familiarity with R (or Python) for data analysis and SQL for accessing large data sets
- Experience applying statistical methods to real-world challenges
- Proven history of exceptional customer service and advocacy
- Experience with internet, cellular, and broadband technologies
People come first at Ookla. We offer competitive compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours, team activities, lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks (some of these benefits will resume when we are back in the office). Our comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In Seattle page] for even more information.
While our preference is to have this person located in our wonderful Seattle office (headquarters), we are also open to having this position be remote elsewhere in the US. We provide excellent workplace flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. If you are fully remote occasional visits to our Seattle, USA headquarters will be expected (when safe to do so).