Data Engineer II (SDE II)
Are you a seasoned, passionate, enthusiastic engineer that enjoys creating data solutions to enable business intelligence & business decision making? Do you love to solve complex problems? Does the idea of developing a Business Intelligence Platform for finance and business partners excite you? If so, then we are looking for you!
As part of Expedia Group’s e-Commerce Platform Finance & Business Management team, you will become an integral part of a consultative, business intelligence team that works with the business & finance to develop solutions that surface actionable insights, improve financial processes, and support executive decision making.
You will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks including leading business users through crafting solutions, iteratively developing and testing code to implement solutions, establishing development standards, and responding to stakeholder requests.
You should be highly motivated, technically savvy, and want to shape the future of a high-performing technical team. This role reports to the Sr. Manager, Technology, and will serve as a critical team member in our finance & business management organization.
What you'll do:
- Design, architect, and implement scalable data acquisition and processing pipelines that enable self-service reporting.
- Ensure proper source control, documentation, testing and quality assurance processes are followed to maintain high data integrity.
- Solve problems with the data platform (optimizations, back-end data issues, reconciliations).
- Respond to ad hoc data requests and conduct analysis to provide valuable insights to partner groups, including product, operations and finance.
Who you are:
- 5+ years of experience building robust data extract, transfer, and load processes that source data from multiple databases.
- 1+ year working in a hybrid environment that uses both on-premise and cloud technologies.
- BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Systems, or related field.
- Experience developing scripts (e.g. Python, Java, Scala) to source data through a variety of third party APIs.
- Exceptional understanding of relational and dimensional datasets, data warehouses, data mining, and data extract, load and transform (ELT) techniques.
- Expertise in SQL and experience with open-source engines such as Hive, Spark, and Presto.
- Demonstrated record of defining and executing key analysis and solving problems with minimal supervision.
- Experience working in an environment that manipulates large datasets on the AWS platform preferred.
- Background in web analytics, finance, e-commerce, business measurement or a comparable reporting and analytics role preferred.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.