Data Engineer II at Expedia Group
Egencia is Expedia Group’s business travel company. In the same spirit, we are pioneers in the industry. Always solutions oriented, we value human contact. Egencia's teams collaborate globally to provide business travelers with the best possible user experience every single day.
As a Senior Data Engineer in the Business Intelligence/Analytics team, you are an authority, familiar with all the data warehousing technical components, infrastructure, and their integration. You’ll analyze large amounts of data, discover and solve real world problems. You are responsible for high level design/architecture - with extensive experience with Star Schemas, Data Cubes and Dimensional Models.
We expect our data engineers to build durable data pipelines with the ability to scale elegantly with data volume growth. The code you write must enable our users to get data in a timely manner. You'll work on a variety of tools and systems, most of which are Cloud-based applications or data-platform components (e.g., data pipelines, processing, Visualization, reporting, etc.). In this role, you will be working in Agile development method for faster, quick-wins with the caliber of design, development and operating BI components you develop.
- Design, architect, implement, and support key datasets that provide structured and timely access to actionable business information with the needs of the end customer always in view
- Retrieve and analyze data using SQL, Excel, and other data management systems.
- Create ETLs/ELTs to take data from various operational systems and create a unified dimensional or star schema data model for analytics and reporting
- Develop a deep understanding of vast data sources (existing on the cloud) and know exactly how, when, and which data to use to solve particular business problems
- Experience developing and operating large scale analytical databases/platforms/data warehouses and performing ETL across various operating systems (Microsoft and Linux)
- Experience working with Cloud BI Production implementation
- Knowledge of Agile, DevOps, CICD frameworks
- Experience with multi-terabyte data sets using relational databases (RDBMS) and SQL
- Agile/Scrum methodologies to iterate quickly on product changes, developing user stories and working through backlogs.
Experience and Qualification:
- 7+ years' experience with detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, ETL/ ELT, reporting/analytic tools, and data security
- 5+ years of experience in designing data warehouse solutions and integrating technical components
- 2+ yrs of scripting language (Ruby, python, etc.) experience
- 1+ yr experience with production BI implementation in Cloud
- Exposure in at least one reporting tool like Qlikview, Tableau, Power BI etc.
- Capable of investigating, familiarizing and mastering new data sets quickly
- Experience with building data platform on cloud (AWS)
- Good familiarity with Linux/Unix scripting
- Experience with Hadoop, MPP DB platform, other NoSQL (Mongo, Cassandra) technologies is a big plus
- Bachelor, or Masters, of Science Degree in Computer Science or related field
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.