Data Engineer II at Expedia Group
Expedia Group(EG) revolutionizes travel through the power of technology. Across the globe, our brands make travel easier for millions of people who want to step out of their homes and into the world. We’re a hardworking and focused team from all over the world – with 20,000 + employees, in over 30 countries. Together we seek new ideas, innovative ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds, and approaches because averages can lie and sameness is dangerous.
The People Technology Team is looking for an experienced Data Engineer to support our People data warehouse and build People data Lake powering people analytics, data science for Expedia Corporate, and all the Expedia brands. Your main responsibility will be working with the team and our customers to define, design, and implement our next-generation data warehouse and Data Lake on AWS, in addition to maintaining and growing the existing People Data Business needs.
What you'll do:
- You will optimize and automate ingestion and export processes for a variety of data sources, primarily Workday and other HR-related systems into EG Data Lake.
- You will build/extend data products in EG Data Lake to enable people analytics and data science.
- You will provide engineering leadership for our redesign and migration of the legacy HR data warehouse from MS SQL to EG Data lake
- You will build/extend toolsets, create/maintain batch jobs, and create systems documentation
- You will drive data investigations across organizations inside and outside of HR to deliver a resolution of technical, procedural, and operational issues
- You will influence large scale projects to set the future direction for people data and analytics across Expedia
Who you are:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience designing and operating large data platforms
- 2+ years of experience with Java, Scala, or similar programming languages and experience in Maven, SBT, Spring framework.
- 2+ years leading data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies—Redshift, S3, EC2, and other data technologies.
- Specialist in SQL. Good understanding in Data Warehousing and ETL.
- Better Understanding of BigData Technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, etc.
- Experience in implementing SDLC methodologies and working in Agile SCRUM
- BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field
- Background in business measurement, Human Resources, e-commerce, or a comparable reporting and analytics role
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, Vrbo®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® Cruise® and SilverRail Technologies, Inc. For more information, visit www.expediagroup.com.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.