Data Engineer III at Subsplash
Based in Seattle, Subsplash is an exciting award-winning team of 150+ mission-driven people who are committed to our core values of humility, innovation, and excellence. Founded in 2005, we pioneered the market with the first-ever church mobile app. Since then, we’ve been working together to build The Ultimate Engagement Platform™ for churches, Christian ministries, non-profits, and businesses around the world. We find excitement in serving our 12,000+ clients, creating impactful products, and delighting the 40 million real people who use our platform every day. Subsplash has won awards for best mobile experience, been voted top 100 Washington's Best Workplaces by the Puget Sound Business Journal, created some of the most downloaded apps of all time, and built enterprise software for world-class brands like XBOX, Microsoft, Samsung, Expedia, and Cisco; yet, at the end of the day, we love making a lasting impact and a difference in our world.
Working at Subsplash is more than just a job; we are a team of people who are courageous, inventive, and passionate about doing meaningful work every day. Don’t take our word for it—head to Glassdoor and see for yourself!
About the Team
The Engineering Team is responsible for building and running all the products that Subsplash offers. We are a super-star team of software engineering, QA, and site reliability professionals creating polished experiences for our clients and end-users. The Engineering Team is responsible for the entire user experience including: Mobile Apps (end-user facing), Subsplash Giving, the Subsplash Dashboard CMS (client-facing), Web App, TV App, backend data feeds, analytics, SnapPages (website builder) and more. We serve thousands of clients, millions of end-users, and billions of individual app impressions.
About the Role
As the Sr. Data Engineer you will report to the Site Reliability Engineering Manager. You will be responsible for all things related to bits at rest within the Subsplash platform. You will be an expert on our production data sources, how to tweak and tune to optimize them for performance, and you will also be responsible for our data warehousing/data lake environment, and help provide our business analysts team with the necessary tools and information to generate internal-facing business intelligence reports. Additionally, you will help prepare data stores and data visualizations for customer and end-user facing components of our product offerings.
Top 3 Key Outcomes in Year 1
- Establish, operationalize and socialize a new data warehousing environment that will be the backbone of our data processing going forward: both for internal metrics as well as customer-facing metrics.
- Work with our Site Reliability Engineers to establish reliable and scalable processes for populating/re-hydrating our data warehouse/data lakes from production systems
- Help our Site Reliability Engineers maintain and optimize our production application data stores by recommending and implementing performance tuning
- Build and maintain our data warehouse environment
- Ensure our data warehouse schema design is optimized for scale and performance against our business intelligence and customer reporting requirements
- Ensure PII and other sensitive data is properly handled within and while being transformed and brought into the data warehouse
- Build and maintain our ETL pipelines from production data stores into the data warehouse
- Monitor and optimize our production data stores
- Assist in building and maintaining data visualizations, both internal-facing and customer-facing
- Collaborate with business analysts, product manager, and software engineers to build and verify hypothesis related to business intelligence
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
- Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
- Extremely comfortable with SQL
- Excellent analytical abilities
- Experience maintaining large scale data warehousing environments that are designed for both internal and external customers
- Comfortable with ambiguity in requirements and able to be a self-starter
- Knowledge and direct experience using business intelligence reporting tools (preferably Tableau)
- Excellence communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills -- the ability to communicate with both business and technical teams
- Experience working with Snowflake or similar data platforms (i.e. AWS Redshift, BigQuery)
- Strong knowledge of relational databases (e.g. MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Aurora) and document-oriented databases (e.g. MongoDB, DynamoDB)
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Strong data modeling skills
- Familiarity with statistical models and data mining algorithms
- Data Science experience (e.g. machine learning, artificial intelligence)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or related field
Generous Paid Time Off, Medical Coverage, Dental Coverage, Vision Coverage, 401k (with employer match), Free Smoothies and Snacks, Optional Work-from-home Thursdays, Public Transportation Subsidy.