Data Science Manager at RealSelf
About the Role:
Do you have a passion for leading teams, turning insights into business impact, and implementing algorithms into streamlined and more personal customer experiences?
We are seeking a highly analytical, business-oriented, and creative lead Data Scientist to manage Data Science as part of the Analytics Team. In this role, you will directly manage data scientists and be responsible for the roadmap and vision of Data Science at RealSelf. You will have the opportunity to deeply understand our customers, their needs, and how they use our product through data. You will also work closely with leaders throughout the company to turn findings into automated models and reports that drive business value and improve our product.
The Analytics Team at RealSelf works on business problems across the entire company and plays a key role in formulating best-in-class consumer and provider experiences. We are a small, fast-moving team that supports high-impact company initiatives and projects that inform business strategy. We are looking for someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment and excels at tackling ambiguous problems with logical and structured thinking.
Are you excited about using your quantitative and data expertise to support RealSelf in making informed and confident decisions?
If so, join us to have an immediate impact on a fast-growing team.
In this role, you will:
- Directly manage data scientists, including guidance on maximizing business value in critical projects and deep-dive analysis, creation of high-impact quarterly roadmap, scoping and hitting team goals, analyst development, and goal setting, and day-to-day prioritization to hit company goals (Estimated manager role, IC capacity)
- Effectively project manage simple and complex projects that the business can utilize and implement, from gathering requirements to gaining user acceptance
- Translate ambiguous needs into elegant & straightforward solutions that are easy to deploy
- Proactively identify opportunities to use automated data models to improve our product
- Work closely with internal stakeholders as a thought partner in the ideation of impactful initiatives, company goals, and roadmaps
- Use statistical and predictive modeling techniques to perform deep-dive analysis, answer key business questions and build a data-driven customer experience
- Work on a wide variety of data problems, including Search Optimization, Personalization, Recommender Systems, etc.
You love turning quantitative measurements into business change and making an immediate impact in a fast-growing organization. You are interested in managing a small team of data scientists to create real business value and contribute individually.
This team is collaborative, bold, dynamic, and lots of fun. Below are some of the qualifications we’d love for you to have. Don’t think you fully fit the bill? Apply anyway. Internally, we’re in the business of building leaders.
You may be the right fit if you have:
- 4-6 years of experience working with data in an analytical role
- 1-4 years experience mentoring or directly managing junior data scientists
- Extremely strong business acumen, customer focus, and a knack for building practical, iterative solutions
- Excellent communication and writing skills; ability to work effectively with and explain complex modeling approaches to both technical and non-technical collaborators
- Demonstrated experience leading a team or project in a self-directed manner, as well as driving critical projects and roadmaps from inception to completion
- Extensive experience with SQL and a scripting language such as Python or R
- Excellent quantitative, data modeling, and statistics skills
- Demonstrated experience with advanced Machine Learning & Data mining algorithms like Classifiers, Logistic regression / SVM, Clustering methods, Bayesian methods, Collaborative filtering, NLP, etc. is a plus
- Experience with e-commerce or web analytics is a plus
Is not anticipated for this role.
This role is open to fully remote candidates in most states. RealSelf is a West Coast-based company; eligible candidates must be willing to work Pacific Standard Time hours. Working remotely from a primary residence outside the United States is currently not permitted.
RealSelf.com is the leading consumer destination in the $32B US medical aesthetics market. We make it easy to get the information and deep support needed to make confident purchase decisions. Since 2006 our authentic stories, unbiased ratings, and expert answers from board-certified doctors have helped millions of people explore treatments and decisions that range from laser skin resurfacing to highly considered cosmetic surgery. With the backing of world-class investors we’re growing RealSelf into a global business with a broad range of services. Come join our super talented and passionate team!
Check out our RealSelf Instagram account to keep up on company updates and learn more about at RealSelf.
RealSelf is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.