Data Scientist - Groupon Goods
Can data really help local businesses around the world thrive?
Are you ready to test your skills using massive amounts of information to make critical business decisions?
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
As a part of our Technology organization, our Data Science team strives to be the voice of the customer in the decisions Groupon makes. We develop and use cutting-edge data technologies and data science algorithms to sift through large amounts of data and distill it into information about our customers' wants and needs. We then integrate these insights into our automated decision-making systems to constantly improve our services.
At Groupon, data drives our decisions. We are looking for a Data Scientist who will join an influential team in the Groupon Goods department. You will get an opportunity to build production algorithms and data products as well as guide the product roadmap by deriving meaningful insights from the wealth of big data we have from our customers, logistics networks, and suppliers. You will be testing your models and hypotheses against the data, giving critical opinions about next actions, and communicating your findings to the broader team. You will get to see your work rapidly feed back into the evolution of our products.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will design and develop processes and systems to consolidate and analyze unstructured, diverse data sources to generate actionable insights
- You will work with product and service teams to identify questions and issues for data analysis and experimentation
- You will develop and code software programs, algorithms, and automated processes to cleanse, integrate, and evaluate large datasets from multiple disparate sources
- Identify meaningful insights from large data and metadata sources; interpret and communicate insights and findings from analysis and experiments to partners across the organization
- Quantify the potential value of new product hypotheses
- Design and support large-scale multivariate tests to prove out new ideas
- Work with product management and engineering to develop KPIs for new features and instrumentation to quantify the adoption of new product initiatives
We’re excited about you if you have:
- 3-5 years work experience as a data scientist or a related role
- Master’s degree in Finance, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Economics or similar
- Understanding of applied math topics, such as probability and statistics, linear algebra, basic optimization techniques, etc.
- Proficiency with SQL, Hadoop, or other Map/Reduce (or other scripting language)
- You have hands-on experience with predictive analytics tools and machine learning techniques/algorithms
- You're a creative problem solver who identifies problems unilaterally and recommends effective plans of action
- Ability to use predictive modeling such as k-nearest neighbors, random forests, ensemble methods
- Ability to understand and use software engineering techniques - parsing through data logs, leading instrumentation specifications and implementation, using and rewriting APIs, integrating APIs with data tools, knowledge and integration through flux
- Experience with data visualization and presentation
- Experience defining and analyzing multivariate tests
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, Tableau (or other data visualization software), R, Matlab, Stata (or other statistical modeling package)
- You have experience translating business objectives and problems into analytic problems, and analytic solutions into actionable business solutions