Data Scientist II, Shipment Success at Convoy
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:08 a.m. (PST) on Thursday, May 6, 2021
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
You are excited about working autonomously and owning your space. You are motivated by improving customer experiences. You enjoy using your DS skills to put clarity to a nebulous problem space and answer questions like, “why did that happen?” “what’s a better way to do that?” and “what’s the next big thing we should go after?” You’re humble, effective, and biased toward action and learning.
- Create data-driven frameworks for understanding opportunities around Convoy's shipment execution, especially through deep dive analyses into performance and process data.
- Develop actionable recommendations to improve these areas, estimate ROI, and align business stakeholders.
- Create data pipelines, data processing and cleaning, and exploratory data analysis (EDA).
- Define metrics. Build dashboards, visualizations, queries and tools to relay data insights.
- Compose, review, refine and socialize both formal and informal writeups on your analyses, models, and insights.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 4-5 years of industry experience in a Data Science, Business Intelligence, Analytics Consulting, or similar analytics role.
- SQL fluency and experience with ETL pipelines
- EDA experience with Python (preferred) or R.
- Ability to break down high-level business problems into concrete analytical solutions.
- Strong data visualization skills in Tableau, Metabase, or other reporting tools
- Ability to communicate technical and analytic concepts in simple terms at a level appropriate for the audience
- Dedication to maintaining a culture where we all feel like we can bring our authentic selves to work.
Nice to have:
- BS or MS in industrial engineering, operations research, applied math, statistics, mathematics, or similar quantitative subject.
- Experience with experimentation and quasi-experimental analysis, lifetime value estimation, and/or causal inference.
- Strong examples of your outputs influencing a product and engineering roadmap
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!