Data Scientist II at Expedia Group
Expedia, the world leader in online travel, is looking for a Data Scientist II to join the Platform and Marketplaces team. The Data Scientists in this team create and deploy sophisticated machine learning models that power a vast range of applications related to fighting fraud and mitigating risk. Credit card fraud in online transactions are only one such application. Examples of other applications are automatically finding data inconsistencies and optimization of transaction queues. Building on strong competencies in Statistics, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining, Natural Language Processing and so on, they work closely with business units and internal partners to understand issues and implement industry-leading solutions. Data Scientists on the team continually perform deep dives into the data to uncover new fraud patterns and business opportunities, and take the lead to move new ideas from inception to production.
What you'll do
- Develop, validate, and maintain data mining tools, algorithms, and other capabilities to solve fraud prevention problem.
- Collaborate with other statisticians and data scientists to formulate innovative solutions to experiment and implement advanced modeling techniques.
- Analyze data covering a wide range of information from customer profile to transaction history.
- Identify new fraud patterns through data mining.
- Communicate complex concepts and the results of the analyses in a clear and effective manner.
- Collaborate with engineers and testers for model release.
Who you are
- Requires a Master's of Science degree or a Ph.D. degree (preferred) in computer science, statistics, engineering, mathematics, or physics
- Minimum two years of industry experience in developing machine learning models
- Have a passion for working on big data and professional experience in fraud prevention models preferred
- Strong programming skills using R, Python, SQL and Java
- Strong problem solving skills and communication skills
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a desire to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, VRBO®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.