Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company providing text messaging to businesses across North America through cloud-based software and a best-in-class API solution. One of the fastest growing tech companies in North America as ranked by Deloitte Fast 500 2017 and 2018, Zipwhip invented the technology that enables businesses to text using their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number and communicate with consumers the modern way.
Zipwhip is aggressively investing in our people, product offerings and processes. We are backed by Goldman Sachs, Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing rapid growth in both employees and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
Zipwhip employees come to work every day (to one of Seattle's coolest offices) inspired and ready to live out our DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. If you want to be part of an organization where highly motivated thinkers are empowered to change the way we communicate with the world around us, then we'd like to hear from you.
What we're looking for:
A Data Scientist that uses large data sets and machine learning to turn data into actionable insights, inspiring those around her/him to be obsessed with the data and stories she/he finds and tells. The candidate will be able to find opportunities for product and process optimization, and when possible use models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. You’ll work with our product team to identify and report on user segment behavior/profitability to identify expansion opportunities and to improve user value and experience. This is our first Data Scientist position, so you’ll be able to determine the tools with which you want to work, define your own path, and help us take quick advantage of tons of low hanging fruit. We are looking for a person who strives to understand on their own, not someone that completes ticket requests.
What's the job really?
- Conduct advanced statistical analysis in order to provide actionable insights, identify trends and opportunities, understand our customers and prospects, and measure performance thereby driving product optimization and improvement
- Be an integral contributor to product and research teams to help identify questions and issues for data analysis and experiments, and provide insight
- Present data, visualizations, and analyses in an easily digestible and impactful way for any viewer to grok quickly
- Develop company A/B testing framework and test model quality
- Find the most impactful questions that are answerable, and then answer or help answer them
- Acquire, understand and prepare data from primary and secondary data sources
- Lead development of our own machine learning models, and work with management to identify the most impactful use of AI & machine learning within our product
What you bring to the table:
- Five plus years of relevant experience with large data sets as a data scientist, statistician and or relevant experience in statistical data analysis, multivariate analysis and sampling, scholastic and linear models, including the ability to structure problems for analysis, analyze the data and understand root cause
- Bachelor’s in data science, statistics, mathematics, or related field. Master’s degree
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks, NLP, AI…
- Strong experience using several data mining/data analysis methods with a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations, predictive analytics, regression, and perhaps natural language processing
- Proficient in R/ Python and SQL
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong desire to work in cross functional teams
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques
What we offer:
- A fun, lively startup culture and one of Seattle's coolest offices.
- Core values-based leadership.
- A culture of employee engagement-lively weekly company updates as 1 example.
- Competitive salary and stock options.
- Complimentary access to a fitness center.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages, a subsidized cafeteria with lunch made fresh every day, and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs.
- Complimentary shuttle access to office from King Street Station, Ferry Terminal and Yesler/Occidental.
Zipwhip values an inclusive and diverse team.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.