Data Warehouse Engineer I
Blue Nile is looking for a highly motivated, results-oriented Data Warehouse Engineer to join our Data & Analytics team to help solve some hard problems for the business. If you have strong technical skills and love to solve challenging problems to help business make better decisions through collection & organization of data, data analysis and report development, you will have a great time working on this small team. We are looking for a person with strong technical skills and has the ability to learn quickly without the help of a lot of documentation. You will focus on the development of the data warehouse and build solutions that leverage the power of the data warehouse for business benefit. The Data & Analytics team is responsible for enabling reporting and analytics for the entire company. The data warehouse is a strategic asset for the company and powers data, insights, and actions across all business functions.
Blue Nile is the largest online retailer of certified diamonds, engagement rings and fine jewelry. Our standards are amongst the highest of all jewelers. We provide a superior customer experience, extraordinary value and industry leading product quality and style. We obsess about our customers and are passionate about providing each customer with an amazing experience.
Our corporate offices are located in Seattle’s vibrant Pioneer Square district, home to the latest wave of internet startups and packed with restaurants and entertainment including Century Link and Safeco fields. We are close to transportation, the waterfront, and parks. Our dress code favors jeans and our facilities include bike racks and showers.
- Develop robust and scalable ETL using tools such as ODI, and programming languages such as SQL and PL/SQL
- Regularly use SQL for data analysis and discovery, providing summary data for answering adhoc business questions, identifying data inconsistencies, etc.
- Work with business teams to understand their data needs and provide data & reporting solutions using SQL, Tableau or Microsoft Reporting Services
- Perform complex data analysis against our OLTP and DW databases to create actionable insights for the business
- Debug data issues and develop scripts in Oracle SQL & PL/SQL to perform data backfills
- Use query tuning techniques like optimizer hints, indexes, etc. and work closely with DBA's to ensure optimal performance of ETL
- Analyze business requirements and develop data sources and extracts in Tableau
- Build reports in Microsoft Reporting Services that source data from heterogeneous data sources
- You have to be really strong in SQL as you will be using it on a daily basis - for development, data analysis, debugging data issues, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science or equivalent
- 3-5 years experience working in a data warehouse environment
- Excellent SQL & PL/SQL skills
- Demonstrated strength in ETL development and data warehousing
- Ability to learn quickly and work with minimal supervision
- Tableau experience is a plus
- Microsoft Reporting Services experience a plus
- Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) experience a plus
What we offer:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Healthcare Coverage, paid by employer
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Paid Vacation
- Competitive Salaries
- Transportation Allowance
- Employee Discount
- Employee Referral Bonus