Database Engineer II at Expedia Group
Are you passionate about the database technology needed to drive a multi-billion dollar business? Do you love working on different database technologies both on-premises and AWS cloud infrastructure? Does working for a global, dynamic, and growing engineering organization energize you?
DSP (Database Services & Platform) team in Expedia Group are looking for a versatile, flexible and outstanding Database Technology specialist with an emphasis on SQL and NoSQL Database Engineering. This is a key player role, responsible for delivering and maintaining all the database environments of Expedia Group, running both on prem and in cloud.
The role is in an advisory capacity between the Database Services team and technology customers within Expedia Group, operating on an agile implementation basis, delivering project work and product features in sprint cycles. The role covers a wide variety of data technology products, requiring the candidate to be versatile in data solution design, implementation, tuning and automation
As a Database Engineer role, it is an outstanding opportunity that is hands-on with data technology providing strategic engineering solutions, integral involvement for larger initiatives and providing engineering solutions to the database operations team.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Function in a dynamic and exciting agile environment involving multiple groups in the Database Services team and various organizations in the Expedia Group.
- Get along with internal team members (database administrators, developers, software designers, program managers and brand owners) on a periodic basis in order to build innovative solutions.
- Research on heterogeneous database migrations from one database engine to another. Demonstrate insightful and synergic approach to crafting innovative technical solutions.
- Should possess strong architecture knowledge and concept of database infrastructure, storage, networking, security and access concepts on the cloud such as VPC, security groups, NACL's, bastion servers etc.
- Perform AWS Cloud scalability planning and evaluate database growth, Scale performance and make the databases highly available in one or multiple regions in cloud.
- Should have clear principles of security and data protection techniques including encryption and monitoring of fine-grained access.
- Implement accurate security controls and keep the databases patched for security vulnerabilities.
- Must possess expertise troubleshooting skills of cluster and other database wait events, concurrencies, bottlenecks etc.,
- Possess Experience and expertise knowledge of configuring and monitoring, tuning and improving performance of database and slow queries.
- Systems engineering experience, including Windows/Linux performance, memory management, I/O tuning, configuration, security, networking, clusters and troubleshooting.
- Broad awareness of customer workloads and use cases, including performance, availability and scalability.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Experience in both SQL and NoSQL database technologies (Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL,Cassandra, Mongo etc.) in on-prem and AWS Cloud native database technologies(Amazon Aurora, RDS, DynamoDB, DocumentDB, Redshift etc.)
- Experience with AWS technologies like S3, EC2, Cloud Formation Templates, AMI, IAM, Security Groups, SQS, SNS, Redshift, Athena, Glue, Lambda, Kinesis, CloudWatch, DMS.
- Experience in scripting Python, Java and it will be outstanding plus if hands on experience on Ansible and Chef.
- Experience with streaming technologies and data structures: Kafka, Kinesis, Firehose, XML, JSON
- Experience on PowerShell/Linux/ Bash scripting
- Open Source Toolset Configuration (Kafka, Ranger, Knox, Zookeeper, Jupyter)
- Good communicator
- Requires minimal supervision and exercises significant individual initiative.
- Drives design discussions for solutions to platform level issues, reaching out across the group to provide more robust solutions
- Guides others in navigating interpersonal structure to report and lead brands/OUs issues.
- Shares knowledge and experience across the team and group.
- Identifies impact of issues at the platform level (Both DB, OS, Apps), considering both internal and external teams and uses experience and judgement to problem seek and engage resources across EG level to ensure complete resolution.
- Insightful and ready to partner with multi functional teams to meet deliver timelines.
- Willing to strive to innovate
WHY JOIN US:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.