Database Engineer at Smartsheet
At Smartsheet, we are building the next generation workspace collaboration platform. Our Infrastructure Engineering team is committed to operational excellence and delivering a world-class customer experience. We're in an exciting high growth stage and now is the best time to join our team.
We are currently looking for a Database Engineer to join our Database Engineering Team. In this position, you will directly impact the reliability and performance of our critical production database systems; supporting 24/7 delivery to over 70,000 customers worldwide. This position will report directly to the Sr Manager, Database Engineering. The best candidates are able to defend their actions and decisions: "we do it this way because that's the way we've always done it" isn’t going to fly here. We want people who have the mindset that anything is open for questioning and there's always another layer to dig. We are solving hard problems! We're in a high growth stage and now is the best time to join our team.
Learn more about us with this short video overview of Smartsheet: Smartsheet Overview Video
- Champion and affect great high-level database systems design, best practices, documentation, high technical standards, tools, platforms, scalability, resiliency, quality and performance.
- Work with microservice pillar team to scale, maintain and continually improve the performance and availability of OLTP databases.
- Provide all database platform administration, maintenance, tuning, monitoring, performance analysis, architecture scalability, backup/recovery, robustness, and performance; query tuning, index optimization.
- Root cause analysis of production-related database issues.
- Participate in on call rotation as defined by management.
- Work with development to translate requirements for designing and maintaining logical and physical data models.
- Review and provide feedback on other team member’s code and scripts.
- Mentor and guide other technical resources.
- Provide critical review of our production OLTP processes and design.
- Deliver on time with high quality task completion.
- Superb analytical/logical reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Proven design skills and track record of delivery.
- Customer oriented attitude, ability to work with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Self-starter, detail oriented, goal-oriented and ability to work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to work independently or as an integral member of a team.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Mid-level documentation experience.
- Experience handling large scale database migrations.
- Advanced experience troubleshooting complex systems.
- Experience managing servers/systems in large-scale, geographically diverse environments.
- Experience working with 24/7 production systems required, websites preferred platform.
- Experience with MySQL replication processes and troubleshooting, SQL and stored procedures.
- Deep Knowledge of MySQL internals.
- Experience with database design in both physical and logical.
- Working knowledge of SQL tuning, Query Optimization and performance considerations in RDBMS and MPP environment.
- Experience with Mongo preferred.
- Experience with Percona Toolkit preferred.
- Experience with AWS Cloud Database Management preferred (AWS DBs (RDS, DynamoDB, EMR, Redshift, Aurora, etc.))
- Exposure to puppet configuration management preferred.
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in a Database Administrator role, preferably MySQL and InnoDB.
- Minimum 2+ years’ experience with database design and architecture.
- BS Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science or equivalent experience is required.
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis.
About Smartsheet: In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.