Blue Nile is seeking a Leader for our Data Technology team. They will see the evolution of our core data systems and craft strategies on how to leverage it to provide industry leading features and tailored solutions for our customers.
We need a leader who is passionate about rich data sets and the technologies that help us draw meaningful insights. This person will work closely with other technology leaders, product and marketing to deliver industry leading experience while driving advances in our data platform. You will manage a team working across all aspect of the web application to grow the culture and growth of the team. Excellent communication, leadership, and problem-solving skills are required; a strong sense of ownership is also critical. Your work will have executive level visibility and directly impact our bottom line.
Blue Nile is the largest online retailer of certified diamonds, engagement rings and fine jewelry. Our corporate offices are located in Seattle’s vibrant Pioneer Square district, home to the latest wave of internet startups and packed with restaurants and excellent access to transportation and entertainment. Our dress code favors jeans and our facilities include bike racks, showers, and great access to the waterfront and Myrtle Edwards Park for activities.
- Set technology roadmap for the data platform leading the evolution of the platform and migration to the cloud
- Democratize our data platform allowing customers to easily build reports and other developers to contribute
- Work across a variety of stakeholders balancing short and long-term needs of the business
- Initiate and manage external engagements with vendors ensuring they meet their project deliverables and at the level of quality expected
- Build strong internal team through hiring and growing the skills of existing team members
- Set and ensure best-practices are followed for all aspects of the data platform including security and data standards compliance
- Provide development leadership and mentoring, introducing new technologies and techniques to the teams
- Define and advocate for business initiatives which drive efficiency and scale to our platform
- Work closely with peers to ensure successful outcomes and improve business processes
- Partner with customers to capture and analyze business needs and information requirements, define optimum system requirements to meet business needs, and prioritize and manage new requirements.
- Coordinate with business unit analysts to understand business reporting requirements and translate needs into data integration, extraction, and transformation processes between operational systems and the data warehouse.
- Authorize and control the release of new data, analysis cubes and reports into the production environment to ensure only productive, efficient applications and reports are deployed.
- 7+ years of proven Data Warehouse Solution architecture and engineering experience; must be able to manage the end-to-end delivery of data warehousing solutions
- Proven data warehouse planning, strategy, architecture experience including migrating from on-prem solutions to the cloud
- Demonstrated ability to both growth internal team as well as engage and expand team through external vendors
- Proven track record delivering high quality features to production use agile methodologies
- Strong communication skills; you will be working with a variety of business leaders throughout the company
- Experience working with large data marts which are scalable and finely tuned for online interactive reporting.
- Demonstrated experience with data warehousing technologies (ETL, DBMS, BI, SQL).
- Strong data modeling skills (multidimensional/star schemas).