Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry, where even 10 years ago, most truck drivers did not have smartphones and paper driver logs were common. In 2015, Convoy launched the digital freight movement with an open and fully connected marketplace for brands and manufacturers to work directly with freight carriers who move truckload shipments throughout the country. This ‘Digital Freight Network’ is powered by machine learning and automation, and supported by a broad, ever-growing set of features that benefit both sides of the marketplace.
We’ve been honored to work with some great companies, such as Unilever, The Home Depot, and Procter & Gamble. We’ve also been backed by world-class investors, including Google, YCombinator, Fidelity, Greylock Generation, Lone Pine, T. Rowe Price, Baillie Gifford and the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, LinkedIn, Expedia, Dropbox, Starbucks, and others. We are proud to have been named a CNBC Disruptor 50 Winner (3x), a Fast Company World Changing Idea, a LinkedIn Top Startup, a Forbes' Best Startup Employer, one of Fortune Magazine's 'Impact 20' list, a best place to work in Washington State, a BloombergNEF Pioneer winner, and more.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help us transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste.
About the team:
Economists and Data Scientists are at the core of Convoy’s platform. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. We also forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business decisions, design experiments to optimize our product, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. The breadth of the problem space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, causal inference, experimental design, econometrics, and prediction domains. We have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace.
Who we’re looking for:
Convoy's Marketplace Demand team is looking for an Economist with experience in reduced form causal inference and experimentation. This team member will own the development, deployment, and analysis for one of our most critical teams focusing on long range economics of Convoy and procurement auctions. They will also be responsible for delivering inference from our data to understand the dynamics of the market and to recommend enhancements to our product that will delight our customers. The ideal candidate will have 1+ years of post-PhD experience performing causal inference in a production or close to production environment and using economic analysis to drive high-impact business decisions.
- Design, Build, and Analyze Econometric Models to Answer Business Questions.
- Ex-Post Reduced Form Causal Inference of Programs, Interventions, and Business Logic
- Analysis of procurement auction participation and Demand-Side Dynamics
- Experimental Design, Deployment, and Analysis in a Production Environment
- Present Findings, Business Insights and New Product Ideas
We’re looking for someone who has:
- PhD in Economics, Public Policy, Quantitative Marketing, or highly related field
- Minimum of 1+ years of experience in a dynamic business environment
- Minimum of 1+ years of post-PhD experience
- Strong technical programming ability (Python preferred)
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You are comfortable interacting with technical and non-technical audiences
- You are a leader and will speak up where needed
- You have a habit of bias-to-action
Nice to haves:
- 2+ years of post-PhD experience
- Strong background in applying economic analysis to solving business problems in a tech-driven environment
- Experience building and deploying models and experiments in a production environment
- Past experience working in a cross-functional environment, interacting with engineers, other types of scientists, product, finance and other job roles
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!