Engineering Manager, Ad Data Platform
Expedia Group Media Solutions is dedicated to building creative media partnerships for travel advertisers enabling them to use Expedia's network of leading travel brands and global sites. We have revolutionized the way brands reach and connect with online travel consumers, emerging as a leader in online advertising among travel and e-commerce brands. With a growing product portfolio offering a multitude of advertising and sponsorship opportunities, our Media Solutions team at Expedia has created an expansive marketing platform for advertising partners to reach the 144+ million worldwide monthly unique visitors that visit Expedia Group sites.
Are you passionate about data and the technology needed to drive a multi-million-dollar business? Do you love building creative, high-scale data products using a diverse set of state-of-the-art technologies? Does leading a global, dynamic, and growing data engineering team energize you?
We are looking for an Engineering Manager who will drive the innovation and scale of the advertising data platform for Expedia Group Media Solutions. Your mission will be to leverage data technology to power a vibrant advertising marketplace, an insight driven sales and marketing workforce, and personalized and targeted ad content for our customers. From strategy, to technical design, to execution, and optimization – your role is to deliver a premier suite of data products & services that will delight our advertisers and customers, while creating a working environment where top technical talent will thrive.
Successful team members in Media Solutions are fully accountable for themselves, their teams, and project delivery in a fast-paced and high-reaching environment. We understand and embody the 'One Team' philosophy and always strive to model the Expedia Group principles. We find creative ways to implement learning from ideas like Agile, Lean, Continuous Delivery and the Scientific Method in many aspects of leadership, management, delivery and operations. We are committed to a growth mindset and learning.
- You will develop and maintain a long-term vision and technical roadmap for the Advertising Data Platform
- You will facilitate prioritization of initiatives with product owners and stakeholders, efficiently allocate team resources, and lead the team through fast-paced development cycles
- You will engage with analytics, business intelligence, data engineering, and business teams across the organization, fostering collaboration and alignment on data solutions
- You will participate in and lead design and architecture reviews, handle production incidents, run code reviews and delivery high quality data pipelines and products
- You will contribute to the creation and consumption of open, standards-based solutions, promoting a commitment to automation, agile, lean-startup, continuous delivery
- You will drive and maintain high standards of data platform availability, monitoring, quality and performance
- You will develop a high-performing team of data engineers, employing effective practices in training, coaching and recruiting to nurture and grow top talent
- MS/BS degree or equivalent work experience
- Strong technical background with 7+ years of relevant experience in technical development and 2+ years of technical leadership role developing high-performing teams
- Expertise in working with Relational and no-SQL databases
- Experience working with big data (Hive/Hadoop/Qubole), distributed data systems, batch and streaming data applications including data storage, processing (ETL), management and analytics
- Demonstrated knowledge in data architecture patterns including modeling, metadata management, streams, persistence, enrichment and access
- Experience delivering data solutions in the cloud including Amazon AWS and related data technologies, services and third-party tools
- Expertise employing Agile delivery methodologies, DevOps and matrixed organizational models
- Strong communication skills and the ability to explain technical project and details in business-friendly terms to a wide variety of audiences
- Experience managing globally distributed teams comprised of full-time staff and vendors
- Experience working in an ecommerce, platform, media and/or marketing business highly desired
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.