Healthcare Data Scientist at Navigating Cancer
At Navigating Cancer, our mission is to improve the lives of cancer patients and those who care for them. We enable oncology clinics to provide personalized, efficient care to every patient by providing relevant educational materials, giving the whole care team visibility to patient issues and needs, and delivering useful insights so that care teams can identify and resolve gaps in care. Through our platform, patients receive a holistic service offering to support their individual goals and needs.
In order to advance our mission to – “Enable Personalized Care for Every Cancer Patient,” we are seeking candidates for the following role:
Navigating Cancer is expanding its data analytics and science team to continue to build our world-class patient-reported outcomes (PRO) data set. In this role, you will be responsible for statistical analysis related to our PRO/EHR data strategy, drive technical execution, and help us create a best-in-class data science capability. You will work with various stakeholders both inside and outside the organization to execute on our research initiatives.
- Collaborate with clinicians, researchers, product managers, and engineers to define and clarify scientific research questions, develop statistical analysis plans, and help ensure data quality standards for observational research studies
- Develop innovative solutions and approaches to turn raw data from various sources (EHR, PRO, claims) into research-grade variables
- Develop visual analytics to enable self-service applications for internal and external stakeholders
- Provide clear technical input, options, and directions to strategic decisions for research data strategy and best practices for real-world data utilization
- Provide mentorship and training across the research organization toward novel approaches for statistical modeling, data mining, and/or machine learning
- Advanced degree (Masters, PhD) in a quantitative field and/or minimum of 4 years in analytical and technical role (statistics / biostatistics, epidemiology, bioinformatics)
- Proficiency in data science tools and languages (R/Python)
- Experience in real-world evidence and familiarity with health economics/epidemiology & oncology data
- Experience with clinical data standards (rxnorm, snomed, loinc codes) and medical terminologies used in healthcare data
- Experience with EHR, disease registries, and insurance claims databases
- Understanding of how to build sustainable data products
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Self-starter with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment.
- Must be highly motivated with the desire to learn and teach new skills, systems, and processes
- External outreach or education (Co-authorship on one or more publications in clinical outcomes research, giving talks, open-source contributions)
- Application of machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques with real-world datasets
- Oncology-specific practical / clinical experience
Why work here?
We support thousands of healthcare professionals and tens of thousands of cancer patients every day. We help cancer patients get better care—and consider this a valuable and meaningful reason to come to work everyday. You get to work with leading technology, wear many hats, and contribute every day to our business success! Join us to help us grow and establish ourselves as a world-class business. We are lean, agile, and lightweight. We believe in each other, believe in our work, and have fun along the way.
This position is full time, in our downtown Seattle office.* We offer competitive compensation, benefits and a fantastic work environment:
- Employer subsidized medical, dental and vision
- 401K + ROTH option
- Paid maternity/ paternity leave policy
- ORCA passes for commuting
- Educational stipend
- Central location equidistant from Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square
- Company sponsored lunch every Monday and fully stocked kitchen
**Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all roles at Navigating Cancer are currently remote-based.
Work with Purpose. Work together to improve the lives of cancer patients. Collaborate with team members, have passion, enthusiasm and mission for the work that we do.
Act with Integrity. Communicate openly, be honest, follow through.
Be Agile. Discover creative solutions, welcome change. Adapt and pursue continuous improvement.
Seek Simplicity. Reduce complexity for our customers and patients. Simplify our products, our processes and our messages.
Strive for Growth. Constantly strive to achieve personal, professional, and company goals. Continuous reflection, learning and achievement