Lead BI Engineer at RealSelf
About the Role:
Do you have a passion for building efficient and scalable systems and processes for taking raw data from production systems and massaging it into user-friendly datasets for business use?
The Platform Operations Team at RealSelf works with thousands of tables in our BigQuery data warehouse. We manage an advanced tech stack using Amazon Web Services (AWS) and the Google Cloud Platform (GCP). We have unique data of all types (large, textual, image), and with that comes unique and exciting challenges.
This role comes with the opportunity to continue to evolve a Data Platform for the business that is robust to failure and proactively identifies data quality issues by architecting and implementing resilient data pipelines and alerting.
Does being agile and solving business problems by architecting systems, modeling data, building microservices with AWS, crafting great user experiences, writing efficient and readable Python, maintaining Google Tag Manager, and using advanced SQL queries excite you?
We’d love to hear from you!
In this role you will:
- Work as part of the Platform team to maintain and develop all BI platforms components such as dbt (SQL Transformation), Looker, BigQuery, and AWS.
- Design and build tools and pipelines that our Data Science team can use to prototype, train, deploy, and monitor consumer-facing and internal ML models
- Expand the BI platform to support business goals and enable our customers to self-service their needs.
- Collaborate with analysts, data scientists, and business stakeholders to scope requirements and implement solutions that provide value to the business
- Thoughtfully develop solutions with a DRY (“Don’t Repeat Yourself”) approach that minimizes technical debt
- Ensure high data quality by developing and maintaining rigorous alerting, so our team is aware of data issues long before anyone one else is impacted.
- Design and architect platforms for machine learning efforts, such as feature gathering, model training, prediction pipelines, and advanced capabilities like continuous training and delivery in collaboration with data science partners.
- Choose work with autonomy, respecting team, and company priorities. Completes work independently and seeks clarification or guidance when needed.
- Provide operational support in all functional areas
- Take responsibility for simple and complex enhancements across functional areas, including gathering requirements for new features, adding requested functionality, gaining user acceptance, etc.
- Develop on the BI platform's back end (meaning the architecture behind ETL processes, Looker, etc.). An example would be developing an interface with which people outside the BI team can write, schedule, launch, and monitor their own ETL jobs.
- Devise and evangelize best practices in their functional area(s).
- Write code that is efficient, well-documented, and easily readable, and maintainable.
You love turning quantitative measurements into business change and making an immediate impact in a fast-growing organization. This team is collaborative, bold, dynamic, and lots of fun. Below are some of the qualifications we’d love for you to have.
You may be the right fit if you have:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., Math, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics) or equivalent experience
- You thrive in ambiguity and love opportunities to test your own ideas to bring value to the business
- You’ve learned to thoughtfully scope work and consider what failure might look like ahead of time
- Your code is efficient, well-documented, easily readable, and maintainable. You are proud of how clean your code is and enjoy helping others do the same
- You effortlessly translate between business and technical speak
- Data inconsistencies drive you crazy, and you love to find their root cause
Travel: Travel is not expected for this role.
This role is open to fully remote candidates in most states.
RealSelf.com is the leading consumer destination in the $32B US medical aesthetics market. We make it easy to get the information and deep support needed to make confident purchase decisions. Since 2006 our authentic stories, unbiased ratings, and expert answers from board-certified doctors have helped millions of people explore treatments and decisions that range from laser skin resurfacing to highly considered cosmetic surgery. With the backing of world-class investors we’re growing RealSelf into a global business with a broad range of services. Come join our super talented and passionate team!
Check out our realselflife Instagram account to keep up on company updates and learn more about life at RealSelf.
RealSelf is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.