Operations Research Scientist
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to fundamentally changing the way freight moves across America and beyond for the better.
We are passionate about thinking big and solving really complex problems to make the lives of truck drivers, shippers and other people in freight industry easier through our innovation and technology. There will always be a better, more efficient way to transport goods, and we won’t ever stop inventing it.
Founded in 2015, we’re a mission-driven, well-funded, fast-growing startup, backed by world-class investors, including CapitalG, the growth equity investment fund of Google, and leading industry disruptors, including the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, Linkedin, Expedia, Dropbox, KKR, Starbucks, and others. We were named one of Washington State’s top places to work, a LinkedIn Top Startup and were the recipient of the GeekWire Next Text Titan in 2018.
Who we’re looking for:
Optimizing our network of carriers and is core to Convoy’s mission to automate the logistics industry. Today, we use machine learning and economic analysis to figure out freight prices, shipment relevance for carriers, auction bidding strategy, and other internal processes. However, we’ve only begun to scratch the surface of possible optimizations across our transportation network. We are looking for talented scientists who have operations research and optimization skills to join our team. This is an opportunity to understand, model, simulate, optimize, and reshape the freight transportation industry.
You will have ownership of:
- Building quantitative mathematical models to represent various transportation and logistics systems
- Creating computer simulations to support operational decision-making
- Developing model-based optimization, simulation, and/or predictive tools to identify and evaluate opportunities to improve all aspects of Convoy’s network
- Working with software engineering teams to drive scalable, real-time implementations of your solutions
You have the following skills & experience:
- PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Transportation Engineering, or highly related field.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and testing analytic and/or algorithmic solutions to business or operational problems
- A working knowledge of linear and non-linear optimization methods accompanied by expertise in the use of commercial solvers (e.g. CPLEX, Gurobi, XPRESS) and working knowledge of open source solvers (e.g. PuPL, Jump)Practical experience in implementing optimization models and tools through the use of high-level modeling languages (e.g. AMPL, Mosel, MATLAB)
- Experience with SQL
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team
Nice to have:
- 2+ years work experience in the transportation industry
Benefits of working at Convoy:
- Health &Wellness: Taking care of your health comes first. Convoy covers 100% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums, and 85% for your family. We also provide access to the gym and showers in our building.
- In-Office Happiness: Enjoy catered meals multiple times through the week, and fully stocked fridges and pantries to keep you running full.
- Commuter Benefits: We transport the world; the least we can do is help get you to work. Every employee receives a fully paid Orca Card to get you around on the bus, light rail, or water taxi. We also provide locked bike storage if you prefer to pedal in.
- Time Off: Life outside of work matters! Convoy has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need- we don’t track vacation or sick time. We also offer generous parental leave for those expecting new additions to their family.
- Compensation: We offer market competitive compensation, including stock options and a 401k plan to help save for retirement.
Candidates must be eligible to work at Convoy HQ in Seattle.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!
Read Full Job Description