Ops & Traffic Analyst II
ExpediaTechnology Operations IOTA Analyst II
The International Operations and Traffic Analytics (IOTA) team drives performance analysis and service availability through dedicated effort in monitoring, analytics and incident response. This role is passionate about supporting and improving the production environment through detection/correction of errors as well as collaborating with other engineering teams to identify/fix/prevent issues. We focus on improving the customer experience.
Does reading this intro get you excited? Do you like solving challenging problems using data? Are you passionate about finding the root cause of an issue? If so, this might be phenomenal fit for you.
- Passionate about learning – enthusiastic, adventurous and full of energy with a desire to acquire and share knowledge with our team and others
- Innovative – be creative, curious and demonstrate an ability to challenge the status quo to provide imaginative solutions
- Enterprising – exhibit willingness to take calculated risks with a ‘make it happen’ approach and a bias towards action
- Data Driven – use the scientific method and data to drive recommendations and decisions by thinking critically about problems and solution space
- Make science/data based decisions in a dynamic environment while handling other priorities simultaneously
- You'll acknowledge and perform investigations from internal customers, including traffic investigations and management of non-human traffic on production websites/services and APIs
- As a team we actively monitor the health of our sites and platform to detect anomalies and investigate
- You will be contributing to incident response by collecting/evaluating data through investigations/analysis and sharing relevant findings
- Use of tools such as: Splunk, Catchpoint, Glassbox, Omniture, Graphite, AWS Infrastructure/Console, etc. along with in-house tools for performing in-depth analysis
- You will respond to and resolve emergent service problems and collaborate with your teammates to share knowledge and learn
- Demonstrate capability to collaborate with other operations teams and engineers to on-board new services into the monitoring platforms/processes, generate related support documentation and train teammates.
- Understand and follow processes and knowledge documents with integrity
- Focus on performing application log analysis and improvements that allow Expedia Worldwide Engineering (EWE) applications to better instrument for availability and performance (up-time, success rate, and customer experience);
- Your work will contribute to monitoring and reporting improvements; utilizing or learning coding/scripting skills to automate manual efforts to support data analysis or reporting;
- You will regularly review and improve existing monitoring, including generation of new health measurements;
- Build/create custom alerts, dashboards and reports needed for EWE App Dev, Eng, Ops and NOC.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- You need a demonstrable ability to learn and acquire new skills, both technical and non-technical.
- BA/BS degree in IT/Engineering or related STEM field or 2+ years of experience working with web technologies and hands on e-commerce production support
- You need analytical and problem-solving abilities. Use of good judgment and attention to detail to identify issues, perform analysis and share findings with engineering when appropriate
- A curios mind and interest to understand the nuances of a highly complex technology stack by performing self-motivated research to learn independently is critically important to the role
- Your critical thinking skills and logical reasoning abilities are essential for being effective in the role. Implementing the scientific method with the ability to correlate various data sources (monitoring & reporting tools) to strengthen investigation results with multiple lines of evidence is key
- A strong commitment and willingness to learn as well as share your knowledge with the team is essential to success
- Capable of effectively prioritizing and executing tasks in an evolving and dynamic environment
- Ability to work actively within a team and value the efforts and contributions of others, recognizing that different perspectives improve quality/delivery
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English)
Desirable Additional Knowledge/Skills:
- Familiarity with distributed systems in cloud, such as: AWS, Google Cloud, Azure. As well as familiarity with related tools, such as CloudWatch, CouldTrail, etc.
- Novice+ level skills in one or more languages: Bash/Perl/Python/Ruby/Selenium scripting or Java/C#, C/C++, Angular JS, Node.js, React.js or R.
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux operating systems
Local area residents only, this role does not offer relocation
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.