Principal Machine Learning Engineer - Conversational Intelligence at Expedia Group
Are you passionate about solving challenging problems with engineering fundamentals and advanced machine learning methods? Are you excited about the opportunity to provide technical leadership to a team of engineers and scientists building platform capabilities and solutions for crafting intelligent Virtual Agents helping to drive the future of a multi-billion dollar business?
As a Principal Machine Learning Engineerwithin the Conversation Platform Technology team, you will be creating solutions and providing technical leadership to a team dedicated to driving technology innovation in conversation intelligence for Expedia Group's Virtual Agents. The capabilities and solutions that emerge from your work will extend ongoing work in the areas of deep understanding of natural language, question answering, policy learning for determining the next action in conversations, and surfacing personalized insights. On the strength of your abilities and experience, you will enable groups across the company to create outstanding Virtual Agent experiences across Expedia Group brands and partners worldwide that address traveler needs without needing human intervention!
Who you are:
- 8+ years software development experience in an enterprise level engineering environment demonstrating increasing levels of technical leadership
- 3+ years hands-on ML/data science experience, ideally delivering projects specifically involving natural language processing and reinforcement learning
- Experience architecting, developing, and successfully delivering complex, large-scale systems
- Deep expertise in Python, Java, and AWS or equivalent cloud technology
- Strong experience with data science packages and ML frameworks
- Expertise in agile software development methodologies and using them efficiently within teams
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills - able to translate between technical and business group, bring forward a vision or opinion
- Ability to lead multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, prioritize decisions and tasks and work in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Deep understanding of trade-offs of architectural patterns and sound decision making and confidence in recommending approaches and associated technology choices
- Relentless passion for delivering technology and experiences that help customers and developers
What you will do:
- Deliver on lofty goals, consistently shipping platform capabilities, features, and solutions related to deep natural language understanding and intelligent decision making in Virtual Agents with speed and quality
- Influence and define the vision for key aspects of conversation intelligence
- Work alongside and mentor an inclusive team of engineers and scientists, acting as a bar raiser for development of performant, maintainable and thoroughly tested code
- Ensure the team is following state of the art engineering and machine learning methodologies
- Drive proof of concepts and prototypes to accelerate the on-boarding of new technologies and solutions to solve business problems
- Cross organizational boundaries (brands, divisions) to collaborate with other technology teams to tackle enterprise-wide problems
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a desire to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, VRBO®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.