Principal Software Dev Engineer (Data Systems)
Are you a master engineer ready for the opportunity to build an ecommerce platform and transform an entire company? Do you thrive in a high-energy atmosphere where you can lead the evaluation of new technology with a relentless focus on automation and continuous delivery? Then come join us and build the most expansive and versatile transaction platform in travel!
As a Principal Software Development Engineer for data engineering in our Financial and Core Transactional Systems (FCTS) group, you will lead the design and implementation of data streams, real-time processing, visualizations, data lake storage at scale. Explore new technologies and approaches, build proofs-of-concept, and lead development of v1 implementations. You will work across teams and groups, providing guidance and mentorship based on your research and wealth of experience, and collaborating on adoption of technology standards.
Partnering with the FCTS’s data teams, you will take a pivotal role in building the data backbone of Expedia’s transaction and financial platforms. If we get it right, what we build will not only power all Expedia Group companies, but could also become the foundational data platform for the entire travel industry.
What you’ll do:
- Lead design and adoption of cloud & serverless technologies, advise on good design practices, and pursue opportunities to simplify and scale
- Explore design and technology options, demonstrate implementations, and collaborate on production code development
- Review pull requests, and lead by example on code refactoring for readability, extensibility, and testability
- Contribute to enterprise architecture, ensuring your designs lead to a scalable, flexible enterprise platform
- Embrace change, always open to replacing what you built yesterday with something better today
- Take initiative to identify the biggest platform opportunities, then dive deep to ensure we pursue them successfully
Who you are:
- An outspoken technology leader, with an equally strong ability to listen and learn
- Sublimely skilled coder (familiarity with Java stack and Python a plus)
- Cloud-native thinker (helpful experience: AWS ECS, Lambda, EMR, DynamoDB, Aurora, Redshift)
- Comfortable with microservice and data processing architectures (Docker, Kafka, Kinesis, Spark, Flink, etc.)
- Successful history of designing and delivering mission-critical, high-volume transactional processing systems
- Mastery of continuous delivery and automated deployments (Jenkins, AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.)
- 10+ years of software experience, with a bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related discipline
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.