Principal Software Dev Engineer
Do you want to influence the experience of millions of customers? Do you want to work in a collaborative environment that impacts products and software from across the company? Are you passionate about architecture and the technology needed to drive a multi-million-dollar business?
Have you seen the text - “You can book or manage a trip on the go! How can we help?” on Facebook Messenger?
Have you seen the SEM “ads” when you search for your travel on Search Engines?
The NLP Technologies team is building the platform to engage our users in a natural language and semantic search – both on Expedia assets as well as search engines. Users can now search for travel products in a more human way and get highly relevant results. They can also have conversations via voice or text across multiple emerging channels such as messaging applications, digital assistants, Website or mobile App.
Do you want to be part of this transition - travel powered by AI? Join us to build the next generation of NLP technologies which would transform the travel industry into a new era!
As a Principal Software Development Engineer on the team, you will play a key role in defining a ML-based architectural strategy. You will work with a dynamic group of product managers, architects and engineers to deliver a sophisticated, next-generation platform at scale. You will provide thought leadership and hand’s on engineering as we build an innovative suite of products and services, integrating seamlessly within our broad ecosystem.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- You will design and implement high performance, scalable, robust and reliable sever applications that support key Expedia initiatives.
- You will translate functional specifications into logical, component-based technical designs.
- You will partner with Systems Engineering and Operations teams to define platform operational features and ensure effective delivery of platform availability, quality and performance
- You will prototype creative solutions quickly by developing minimum viable products and work with others in crafting, accelerate the onboarding of new technologies and implementing the technical vision.
- You will provide code reviews to assess overcall code quality and flexibility, and the application of good object oriented programming techniques.
- You will drive continuous improvement and continuous delivery in our software development process within an agile development team.
- You will work closely with other developers both local and in various other Expedia offices around the world to ensure code quality, appropriate testing and design to ensure excellent product quality.
- You will support live-site operations as needed as part of our DevOps approach.
- You will serve as a technical leader within the organization.
Requirements / Qualifications:
- BS or MS Degree in Computer Science or related engineering discipline.
- 3+ years of lead architecture and design experience in an engineering, development or technology role
- 10+ years of experience in full stack software development with shipping large, multi-functional projects in a global internet service environment.
- Relevant industry experience developing in Java and its associated technology stacks such as Spring.
- Experience in NLP/ML technologies.
- Experience building web services in the cloud, particularly with AWS solutions.
- Proficient with algorithms and data structures, design patterns, service oriented architecture, domain driven design, multi-threading, concurrency, caching and distributed systems
- Working knowledge of SQL databases and other NoSQL solutions.
- Verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Solid understanding of the software development process, architecture and design, software craftsmanship and test strategies.
- Effective mentoring and leadership skills and an ability to successfully drive design and implementation of software projects
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.