Research Associate, Valuations Team
Research Associate, Valuations Team
In just a little over a decade, PitchBook has grown into a global organization with offices in Seattle, San Francisco, New York and London. With consistent high double-digit growth since 2009, the company has become the industry’s leading source of private market data, serving more than 3,000 clients around the world.
As a four-time winner of the Best Workplaces in Washington award, PitchBook is committed to fostering an open, collaborative work environment driven by excellence, inclusion and fun. Our culture is at the heart of our success, and it’s something we work on every day.
Our primary home for the last decade, PitchBook’s Seattle office has grown from humble beginnings in a 200-square-foot windowless room to our current three-floor home in a downtown skyscraper. Located just blocks away from Pike Place Market and historic Pioneer Square, our headquarters boast stunning mountain views, open collaboration spaces and a startup culture that emphasizes hard work and camaraderie. Working in our Seattle office means growing your career alongside smart, dedicated people in the city where it all began.
The Research team is one of the largest teams at PitchBook, totaling over three hundred people across three continents. We are responsible for the core of what we do as a company: delivering high quality data on the private markets to thousands of discerning customers. This is done through our various data collection processes consisting of web-based data scraping, entering of data from publicly available documents, web researching of hard-to-find information, and direct communication with executives/investors/advisors involved in transactions and fundraising. We also like to have fun and believe strongly in some of our traditions such as baked good Mondays, potluck breakfast Fridays and our Panther mascot.
We are looking for Secondary Research Associates to help our in-house valuation team collect data and produce a meaningful impact on PitchBook’s database of venture-backed companies and transactions. Please note this role is more closely aligned to a product operational role than academic or marketing research.
About our Research Associate program:
Nearly everyone in Research starts as a Research Associate. In this role, you will join one of our dataset teams with an initial focus on mastering our proprietary data entry tool and research process. Once mastered, you will take on various tasks, helping your team ensure its dataset meets high quality standards while continually increasing the efficiency, productivity and quality. The focus of the role will be on secondary research, which is the collection of data publicly available from websites, news sources, and other sources.
This development approach creates a pathway for our Research Associates to grow into Senior Research Associates, Team Leads and Research Managers within a specific dataset team in the Research department, or transition to a variety of roles on other teams at PitchBook.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Ramping up to become an expert in research, data collection, and cap table modeling on privately-held companies within the Venture Capital dataset on the PitchBook Platform
- Identifying key data points on classes of ownership within private company capital structures including common and preferred shares
- Evaluating and extracting relevant data from legal documentation
- Reviewing previously-researched information to provide feedback to other researchers
- Communicating effectively and efficiently with internal stakeholders in person and through email.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Identifying root causes of systemic data problems.
- Completing client requests to add new data or update existing data.
- Work with team to develop and improve processes, tools and methodologies.
- Collaborating on projects to identify opportunities to improve upon the core quality metrics (comprehensiveness, accuracy, timeliness)
You may be the right candidate if you have:
- A high attention to detail
- Sense of urgency and ability to focus to update a number of profiles
- Believe anything below excellent isn’t good enough and expect the same from those on your team
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and in written materials
- Analytical and process oriented with a dedication to continuous improvement
- Incessant curiosity and innovative thinking
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Interest in the private equity, venture capital and M&A industries
- 1 - 2 years of professional work experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
About PitchBook Research
The Research team is one of the largest and most important teams at PitchBook Data, totaling over three hundred people across three continents. It is responsible for the core of what we do as a company: delivering high quality data on the private markets. This is done through our various data collection processes consisting of web-based data scraping, entering of data from publicly available documents, web researching of hard-to-find information, and direct communication with executives/investors/advisers involved in transactions and fundraising. We also like to have fun and believe strongly in some of our traditions such as baked good Mondays, potluck breakfast Fridays and our Panther mascot.
At PitchBook, we provide transparency into the capital markets by organizing the world’s meaningful business information and making it useful to our customers. We work tirelessly to arm global professionals with comprehensive data on the entire venture capital, private equity and M&A landscape—including companies, investors, funds, investments, exits and people—so they can discover and execute opportunities with confidence. Our data and analysis are available through our award-winning flagship product, the PitchBook Platform, as well as our powerful suite of integrated tools, industry news and in-depth reports.
If you are ready to start the conversation about how you might contribute to all the happenings at PitchBook, submit your resume today! PitchBook appreciates and respects diversity, and as such, we are an equal opportunity employer.