Senior Applied Machine Learning Engineer (Catalog Platform and Quality)
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. Our mission is to create a world in which Customers ask “How did I ever live without Coupang?” We are looking for passionate builders to help us get there. Powered by world-class technology and operations, we have set out to transform the end-to-end Customer experience -- from revolutionizing last-mile delivery to rethinking how Customers search and discover on a truly mobile-first platform. We have been named one of the “50 Smartest Companies in the World” by MIT Technology Review and “30 Global Game Changers” by Forbes.
Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
About the role:
Our goal is to build the best e-commerce experience for our customers. We get millions of products from sellers and we want to build a consistent experience by automatically detecting features from catalog, and enriching the catalog with structured information. We use machine learning to develop models to extract missing data from text and images, detect inaccuracies and fix them automatically. We strive to build efficient workflows allowing humans to apply their judgment only when necessary.
On a daily basis, we solve problems from different kinds product categories ranging from cellphone cases to fashion, consume various sources of data such as catalog, reviews, views etc. to continually enhance the catalog.And we do all of this at scale that is growing at a rapid pace.
We have big goals for Coupang to be the place for people to discover products and we, Catalog, are central to building a unparalleled search and discovery experience.
What you’ll do:
As a senior software developer you will be building services and platforms for automatic understanding of text (NLP/Information extraction) and image, building robust scalable and maintainable machine learning models, and ensuring extreme high quality of information we provide to customers. You will be building complete end-to-end solutions; researching a problem, implementing the solution, building a scalable and reliable service and ensuring the service is available 99.99% of the time. You will be founding engineer of new initiatives for structured data.
Our team is in its nascent stage and offers a creative, fast-paced work:
·Extract product data from unstructured text and image data by designing and testing new algorithms and techniques.
· Analyze large amounts of data to discover patterns and build robust models to extract valuable information from various sources (e.g. product catalog, customer reviews, clicks etc.) that vary in quality of data and structure.
· Automatically classify products into customer facing category with high accuracy.
· Normalize variations (by language and spelling) for attributes like as brand, size or color.
· Establish scalable, efficient, automated machine learning platforms including building tools to collect training and evaluation data.
· Owning and improving customer-facing features derived from scalable & automated data extraction systems.
Key technologies you will work with are Java/Kotlin, Scala, R/Python, Kubernetes for Docker on AWS to name a few.
What we are looking for:
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics or related field
· 1+ years of software development experience in machine learning, data mining, big data
· 3+ years of software development experience in building enterprise systems.
· Strong fundamentals in design/coding in Java or other high level language.
· Excellent problem solving skills.
· PhD/Master’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics or related field
· Past experience with information retrieval from text and/or images.
- Experience with data sources for both non-transactional (Cassandra, DynamoDB) and transaction (RDS, MySQL) needs.
- Experience with massive data processing techniques (EMR/Hadoop/Spark, SWF, Storm/Kinesis, etc.)
- Desire to do deep data analysis while solving problems.
- Autonomy to make decisions in a rapidly growing company
- Free medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 18 days PTO + 15 national holidays off
- 401K matching
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Mobile & fitness reimbursement
- Flexible working hours
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected]