Senior Behavioral Scientist
Accolade is a personalized health and benefits solution that dramatically improves the experience, outcomes and cost of healthcare for employers, health plans and their members. With a unique blend of compassionate advisors, clinical experts and intelligent technologies, we engage individuals and families in their health, establish trust, and influence their decisions at every stage of care. Accolade connects the widest array of personal health data and programs to present a single point of contact to the most effective health and benefits resources, while coordinating with providers at every step. Accolade consistently achieves 70 and higher Net Promoter Scores, 98% consumer satisfaction ratings, and up to 15% employer cost savings. Accolade has been recognized as one of the nation’s 25 most promising companies by Forbes, a fastest-growing private healthcare company by Inc. 5000, and is consistently rated a Top Workplace across the country. For more information, visit accolade.com.
The Senior Behavioral Scientist is responsible for discovering innovative ways to activate consumer health behavior, personalize their engagements with Accolade, optimize communications, and achieve our strategic goals. This position will reinforce our vision to create positive impact for millions of Americans through their personal health, benefits and healthcare journey.
A day in the life…
- Develop repeatable data transformations, integrating data from various platform data sources, including ingested medical claims data, benefits eligibility, partner ecosystem data, and all forms of interaction data
- Analyze healthcare claims data sets to find novel insights -- and then communicate those in a way that moves the needle on people’s health outcomes
- Analyze outreach effectiveness, drive insights into better ways to influence health behavior, and support better intervention design
- Analyze data about how individuals use digital tools in order to make services more intuitive and engaging, and the outreach around them more relevant and effective
- Check, clean and transform incoming data for data pipelines and outreach (email, SMS, etc) campaigns
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, program managers and external stakeholders to troubleshoot problems and proactively create solutions
- Work both independently and as part of a team to deliver accurate products on short deadlines
- Support and develop our technical culture by being engaged, intellectually curious, friendly, motivated to solve complex problems, and inspired to deliver superior high value services
- Graduate Degree in Medical Informatics, Psychology, Communications, Engineering with experience in Applied Behavioral Sciences; Ph.D. in Psychology, Economics, Decision Sciences, Marketing, Management, or any other relevant discipline is preferred
- Graduate training in behavioral science research methods, including experimentation and multivariate data analysis
- 5+ years of post-doctoral or graduate experience analyzing large data sets, identifying patterns, personas, and insights that can be applied to influencing health behavior
- Understanding of behavioral theory, behavior economics, the power of communications, and seeks to replicate the power of personal communication in a repeatable, scalable manner, focused on influencing health decision-making
- Experience using statistical software (preferably R, others acceptable)
- Demonstrates strong critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates the ability to work in an independent manner and complete increasingly complex assignments
- Demonstrates strong teamwork skills and the ability to work effectively in a group environment
- Exceptional organizational, planning, and analytical skills
- Proficient in written, oral, and electronic communication skills (interpersonal/communication and technological effectiveness competencies)
- Proficient understanding of how to manipulate data
- Experience creating complex, repeatable data pipelines that operate on millions or billions of records
- Proficiency in one or more general or statistical programming languages such as Python, Ruby or R – and/or interest learning new ones
- Experience going from insight to impact: Using the results of your analysis to tell a story through visualization, presentation, and writing
- Researching and/or implementing nudges
- Training in behavioral economics
- Interdisciplinary research and working in collaborative teams
- Healthcare industry
- Programming (e.g., Python)
- Successful applications for external funding
What is important to us
Creating an enduring company that is hyper-focused on our culture and making a meaningful impact in the lives of our employees, members, and customers. The secret to our success is:
We find joy and purpose in serving others
Making a difference in our members’ and customers’ lives is what we do. Even when it’s hard, we do the right thing for the right reasons.
We are strong individually and together, we’re powerful
Trusting in our colleagues and embracing their different backgrounds and experiences enable us to solve tough problems in creative ways, having fun along the way.
We roll up our sleeves and get stuff done
Results motivate us. We aren't afraid of the hard work or tough decisions needed to get us there.
We’re boldly and relentlessly reinventing healthcare
We're curious and act big -- not afraid to knock down barriers or take calculated risks to change the world, one person at a time.