Senior Business Analyst at Shelf Engine (Seattle, WA)
At Shelf Engine, our mission is to reduce food waste through automation. We harness the power of AI to provide real-time, intelligent forecasting and fully automated ordering to food retailers across the United States. We’re able to drastically reduce the amount of food waste generated while simultaneously maximizing sales and expanding margins for grocers—a triple win for suppliers and retailers, consumers, and the environment.
Shelf Engine is looking for a talented Senior Business Analyst to join our Analysis team. In this role, you will work with multiple teams across functions to develop insights from the data we collect, solve complex problems, and present findings. You will use these insights and work directly with Senior Leadership to develop strategies and to help us make informed data-driven decisions as we continue to scale our team. You will become an expert in our customers’ businesses, analyzing the impact Shelf Engine can or has had on their business. You will also analyze data and prepare reports detailing Shelf Engine's own success and present these metrics to the internal team.
This position is based in Seattle, WA, with a hybrid schedule of 3 days/week in office
As a Senior Business Analyst at Shelf Engine, you will:
- Provide astute and timely analytical recommendations to support customers and various organizational stakeholders
- Own the full lifecycle of analyses requests, including everything from framing the problem, to pulling and manipulating data, to producing and visualizing results
- Develop data-based results that go beyond mere numbers, providing insight into the question and results that are easy to understand, relevant to the business and enable decision making
- Employ innovative analytical methods to answer business questions when the solution isn’t immediately obvious
- Regularly communicate with business stakeholders, becoming a trusted partner to internal and external customers
- Coach business users to self-serve basic analytics
- Own the weekly Analysis team ticket grooming process, including developing level of effort estimates and communicating with internal customers to prioritize requests
- Identify opportunities to streamline processes and improve structured decision making
- Participate in regular meetings with management, helping identify opportunities for business improvement
What we are looking for in a candidate:
- You embrace our company principles: make the first move, make better decisions, be furiously curious, commit and deliver, have empathy, invent solutions, be authentic
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in mathematics, engineering, computer science, finance, or economics.
- A minimum of 3+ years of experience
- Proficiency with SQL and business intelligence tools (Tableau, Power BI, etc) required
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods that efficiently query and manipulate data from multiple sources
- Ability to take raw data from a variety of sources and transform it into actionable insights
- Ability to quickly learn, adapt and otherwise thrive in a dynamic, fast-growing start-up
- Passion for data and using it to tell compelling stories, identify opportunities and solve challenging business problems
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Independent problem-solving abilities and comfort with ambiguity; able to appropriately identify and scope unstructured issues and solve them without guidance
- Ability to glean useful insights from imperfect data in a timely manner
- Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately to all types of business stakeholders, including senior management
- Adept at presenting insights in a confident and polished manner
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external customers to build trusted partnerships
- Ability to work with stakeholders to help them turn unclear questions into well-scoped requests
- Ability to own a process end-to-end, navigating stakeholders along that process
- Finance acumen is a plus, specifically, profitability analysis and other financial modeling
- Authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer
What Shelf Engine offers you:
- A unique opportunity to join a fast-growing sustainability startup early on, making a meaningful impact on the team as well as the environment
- An inclusive work environment that emphasizes each team member’s personal and professional growth
- Competitive salary in the range of $80,000 to $100,000 depending on skills and experience
- Pre-IPO equity with a four-year vesting schedule
- PTO that is unlimited and self-managed for full-time employees
- 100% employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees, and 50% covered for eligible dependents
- Coverage for life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and access to a robust Employee Assistance Program
- Optional employee contribution of pre-tax dollars to medical and dependent care FSA accounts
- 401k plan through Guideline to contribute to your financial future
- Seattle only: Company-paid ORCA transit card
Please note, employees will need to provide proof of vaccination in order to access any of our offices or to attend company events.
At Shelf Engine, you will join a team of driven, passionate, and caring people hungry to make change in an untapped industry. We’re not only solving complex technical problems at scale but also tackling key initiatives with significant environmental impacts. Our team is determined to disrupt a massive industry and leave behind a positive legacy for generations to come.
Shelf Engine is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.