Senior Business Intelligence Analyst at PayScale
Paying the right way, getting paid what you’re worth — it’s complicated, and it matters. Compensation used to be a dark art. Not anymore. PayScale helps employers and their employees understand the right pay for every position and effectively communicate about compensation.
PayScale pioneered the use of crowd-sourced compensation data and unique matching algorithms to power the world’s most advanced compensation platform and continues to be the compensation market leader, featured in G2 Crowd's 100 Best Software Companies for 2018, based on user reviews.
We foster a working environment that generates new ideas, promotes ownership and experimentation and encourages highly motivated individuals to be truly creative. Are you forward-thinking, tenacious, and inventive? If so, PayScale may be the perfect place for you to grow your career!Job Description
What We Do: As a data driven company, our data is our lifeline. The business intelligence team at PayScale helps drive decision making across all levels of the company with data insights and visualizations.
What You Do: Business intelligence at PayScale is focused on the science of decision making, requiring someone who is curious around data and who is not afraid to dive-in to find answers. A successful candidate has outstanding business insight, a steadfast desire to answer "why?" questions, and is passionate about using data. You should have a solid sense of data visualization standards and also a flair for design.
You should be familiar with analysing large and small data sets, and also working with a data warehouse and SQL. Finally, as a senior analyst, you have lead large projects involving multiple partners and have also mentored junior analysts.
Day-in-the-Life: Your typical day may include the following:
- Creating dashboards and visualizations to support decision making in the company.
- Working with teams across the company to understand business requirements, define key performance indicators, deliver insights, and visualize results.
- Continually improving ongoing reporting and analysis processes.
- Mentoring more junior analysts.
- Providing Tableau support, including handling access and licenses.
- Joining the team ceremonies, including demos and planning sessions.
First Year in Role:
- Month 3: You have a good understanding of how the team works, who our customers are and you have started to provide support to existing projects.
- Month 6: Your ramp up with the team is complete and you have the ability to pick up any task to complete it on your own from start to finish. You are also collaborating with product owners in order to develop project plans.
- Month 12: You are fully integrated into the PayScale organization and you are an authority in many of the projects that you own as a team.
- A bachelor's degree with significant course work in a quantitative field, such as economics, statistics, econometrics, physical sciences, or applied mathematics.
- 6+ years of relevant work experience.
- A portfolio which shows your past projects, personal or professional.
Skills and Tools:
- Advanced experience with Tableau (Power BI is a plus).
- Intermediate experience with SQL and data manipulation.
- An understanding of Snowflake or other data warehouses.
- Familiarity with git or other version control systems.
- An obsession with cleaning, structuring and analysing data.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and communication skills.
- Attention to detail, well organized and great time management skills, with knowledge of JIRA and Confluence a nice-to-have.
Meet Your Manager: Joe Davies has over 15 years of professional software development experience, primarily in both finance and marketing. Joe's favorite thing about PayScale is its empathetic environment that helps drive the delivery of a meaningful product which promotes equality. Joe is a proponent of scrum, an opponent of too many meetings, and a manager who supports your personal and professional growth above all else.
Hiring Process: “Change is the only constant in life (and PayScale)” – Heraclitus (okay, so we paraphrased a bit). The hiring process outlined below is a rough overview, and is subject to change based on business priority, interviewer availability, etc.
- Speak with one of our friendly recruiters.
- Speak with the hiring manager, Joe.
- Work on a take-home project that helps demonstrate your skills.
- Participate in a virtual hiring loop.
Benefits & Perks – The Highlights:
- Flexible Paid Time Off policy
- 10 paid holidays
- Amazing Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription coverage: 100% company-paid premiums for employees; 50% for eligible partners and dependents
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Competitive Maternity and Paternity Leave, and onsite Mother’s Room
- 401k which vests immediately, complete with company match
- Onsite bike storage, lockers, showers, and clothes dryer
- Ergo friendly chairs and sitting-standing desks
- Company-hosted happy hours every Friday afternoon
- Fido Fridays (our canine colleagues join us every Friday. WOOF!)
Equal Opportunity Employer: PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.