Senior Customer Researcher at Remitly
At Remitly, we help immigrant communities around the world send $6 billion a year to their loved ones. Sending money is faster, easier, and costs less with our all-digital money transfer platform. Our vision is to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial service products on the planet. At Remitly, your work has a direct and positive impact on people around the globe. Your work matters, every day.
The Consumer Insights team is core to customer centricity. Using diverse research methods, the team develops deep understanding of the global Remitly audience, increasing the relevance and impact of every touchpoint. We provide insights for Marketing, Product, Business Management, and Design teams across the organization, driving short-term and long-term growth. We keep one eye on the needs of our million-plus current customers and one on the hundreds of millions yet to reach.
We are looking for a researcher to lead quantitative information gathering and analyses for our team internationally. The scope for the role is global with plenty of opportunity for a social scientist who can apply their knowledge of social science to our work. This will be a highly visible role in our multi-country organization. If you are curious about people, have a habit of poking around and figuring things out, and enjoy seeing a tangible impact from your work, this role is for you.
You will enable Remitly to better understand current and potential customers: Who are they? What motivates them? How can we solve problems for them? You will use your familiarity with various social science theories to figure out what truly matters in explaining behavior. You will apply creative solutions to figure out ways to glean insights from a range of sources (surveys, census data, international datasets, text, and more), and you will champion the voice of the customer.
In this role you will operate with a range of freedom and flexibility. You will listen and ask questions, and pursue larger insights. You will anticipate needs and drive strategy, as well as respond to stakeholders’ requests. You will practice good judgement to decide what is relevant to pass on, and distill that information into actionable recommendations. You will need to prioritize relentlessly and move quickly.
You will be part of a team of empathetic partners who collaborate and support one another. This role will offer you plenty of opportunity to further learn, grow, and develop your toolkit.
- Identify relevant data sources (e.g., American Community Survey, World Values Survey, Eurostat, Statistics Canada) and synthesize to identify market characteristics and opportunities
- Assist with creating and maintaining profiles of major markets for Marketing and Product teams to access
- Plan, coordinate, recruit, and conduct surveys across multiple Remitly departments, including ad hoc (e.g., media consumption, brand positioning tests, creative asset evaluation) and recurring (e.g., brand tracker)
- Develop schedule and questions for in-product survey
- Analyze, summarize, and visualize multiple sources of data with analytical tools like R or Python
- Report key findings and actionable recommendations to stakeholders and senior leadership
- Consult with stakeholders on various projects as needed
- Participate in the new Voice of the Customer program
- Keep up to date with novel research techniques and emerging research tools
- 5+ years experience in conducting research
- Analytical, curious, self-directed, and self-starting
- Strong social science background (especially sociology, psychology, anthropology)
- Expertise in statistical analysis (correlations, regressions, cluster, conjoint, text) and enthusiasm to learn new techniques as needed
- Expertise in thinking causally about what is happening, why, and how
- Ability to turn complex problems into hypotheses
- Ability to translate raw data into language and recommendations relatable to stakeholders
- Excellent writing and speaking skills
- Ability to communicate data-based decisions to others, including senior leadership
- Expertise in SQL, R, or Python
- PhD or ABD
- Foreign language (including Spanish, French, German, Polish, Romanian, Vietnamese) and cross-cultural experience
- Familiarity with datasets from national agencies and major municipalities
- Familiarity with social network analyses and theory
- Familiarity with Qualtrics
Who we are:
Remitly is the largest independent digital remittance company headquartered in the United States, transferring over $6 billion in annualized volume from its customers in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia to loved ones throughout the world. The company’s proprietary global transfer network includes its easy-to-use mobile app, which makes the process of sending money faster, easier, more transparent and less costly by eliminating the forms, codes, agents, extra time and fees typical of the traditional, century-old money transfer process. Remitly is backed by industry-leading investors, World Bank’s International Finance Corporation (IFC), Naspers’ PayU, Silicon Valley Bank, Stripes Group, DFJ, DN Capital, QED Investors, Trilogy Equity Partners, Bezos Expeditions, Founders’ Co-Op, and TomorrowVentures. The company is headquartered in Seattle, with additional offices in London, the Philippines, and Nicaragua. For more information, visit remitly.com.
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Remitly are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Remitly is an eVerify Employer.