Flexport is looking for a creative, technically-minded senior data engineer motivated to solve some of the world’s most challenging data problems in global trade. Data is at the heart of our business, and as a Senior Data Engineer, you will work in complex data warehouse environments supporting global trade. You will partner with Data Science and Software Engineering teams to develop scalable and innovative analytical solutions, process and store large amounts of low latency structured and unstructured data, and enable the Data Science and Machine Learning team to execute successful, data-driven strategies.
You will be responsible for:
- designing and implementing a data management and analytical environment using custom and open source tools
- developing Python or JVM-centric (Java, Kotlin) solutions to automate ETL, analytics, and data platform management
- designing and implementing complex data models, modeling metadata, building reports and dashboards and creating reporting tools for data science and ML products users.
- writing highly tuned, scalable SQL queries running over large-scale, heterogeneous data warehouses
- designing and deploying data infrastructure needed to drive data-driven decision-making solutions supporting Flexport’s marketplace and freight forwarding initiatives.
You should have deep expertise in designing, building, and managing large datasets across various data platforms. You should also excel at working with various customers/partners to understand data needs and implement scalable and efficient ETL solutions. Our data science, product, and engineering teams collaborate very closely with our data engineering team to share domain knowledge, test hypotheses at scale, and develop promising solutions that can be quickly and widely deployed. In addition, we are passionate about providing effortlessly accessible intelligence and actionable insights to our end users. Thus, the ideal data engineering candidate is: self-motivated, highly analytical, technically excellent at writing code, and passionate about delivering cutting-edge data solutions.
Locations: San Francisco, Bellevue
- Design, implement and improve Data Science’s pricing, planning, and ML platforms.
- Develop and improve the current data architecture, focusing on improving data security, data quality, latency, scalability, and extensibility.
- Leverage state-of-the-art technologies to design, pilot, and deploy low latency data architectures supporting pricing, planning, and various ML/AI initiatives.
- Collaborate closely with data scientists, data analytics, product, engineering, and business/operations teams to:
- develop, implement, and validate key performance metrics
- perform statistical analyses and data profiling, and
- support production deployment of low-latency machine learning and optimization solutions.
- Partner with Data Scientists, Data Analytics, and business/operations partners to design and deploy experiments and measure the impact of policy and system changes.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, such as computer science, machine learning, or a related field with 5+ years of industry experience.
- Extensive experience and expertise writing and optimizing complex SQL.
- Expert knowledge of data warehousing concepts.
- Extensive experience in data mining, profiling, and analysis.
- Extensive experience with data modeling, ETL design, and the use of large-scale databases in business environments.
- Experience programming with languages such as Python, Ruby, Java.
- Experience working with large data sets and knowledge of tools for big data analytics and manipulation (e.g., dbt).
- Proven ability and experience to design, develop and deploy innovative data solutions and complex production systems (e.g., supporting pricing, planning, predictions, etc.)
- Knowledge of engineering and operational excellence using standard methodologies.
- Deep experience and expertise in ETL optimization, designing, coding, and tuning big data processes using dbt or cloud-native solutions (running on kubernetes (k8s))
- Extensive experience designing, developing, and deploying data pipelines and applications to stream and process data at low latencies needed to support near real-time production pricing, planning, and ML solutions.
- Demonstrate efficacy in building data solutions that support data lineage tracking, ensuring that data, as it flows from sources to consumptions, can be understood, recorded, and visualized.
- Knowledge of distributed systems and data architecture and experience in designing and implementing batch and stream data processing pipelines
- Knowledge and experience with optimization of the distribution, partitioning, and parallel processing of high-level data structures.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific, as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital, and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.Are you worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s crucial for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding, and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another, and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program explicitly designed to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.