Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to join Convoy’s Carrier Lifecycle and Programs team. Convoy is all about getting freight from point A to point B, and we couldn’t do that without carriers (i.e. truckers and trucking companies) -- Convoy’s ability to partner with its carriers effectively is crucial to its success. The Carrier Lifecycle team is dedicated to building the products, mechanisms, strategies, and services that enable our carriers not just to do business with Convoy, but to thrive. We find new ways to understand, attract, delight, develop, and retain the carriers that make Convoy’s business possible. This role has the potential to influence all sides of Convoy; our team works across boundaries to advance the carrier mission.
Data Science is at the core of Convoy’s platform. We drive analyses and build models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. The breadth of the problem space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, causal inference, econometrics, and prediction domains. And we have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace.
You love the customer and your empathy for their experience is matched only by the quantitative rigor you bring to understanding them. You thrive in ambiguity; you can create direction out of a nebulous problem space and lead diverse groups of stakeholders to execute on that direction. You know when to make tradeoffs, when to double down, and how to prove which is the right path forward with data. Intelligent but practical, you want to get things done and love simplicity. You’re humble, effective and biased toward action and learning.
- Create data-driven frameworks for understanding Convoy’s carrier base and align business stakeholders to execute on the resulting insights
- Work on segmentation, retention analysis, funnel optimization, lifetime value estimation, experimentation & quasi-experimental analysis, causal inference, and/or predictive ML modeling
- Create data pipelines, data processing and cleaning as well as exploratory data analysis
- Write up and present your analyses, models, and insights for both technical peers and non-technical stakeholders
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Minimum of 5+ years of industry experience in Data Science or closely related discipline
- Background in statistics, economics, econometrics, engineering, mathematics, or similar quantitative subject
- Ability to break down ambiguous problems into concrete analytical solutions
- Experience with Python or R
- Experience with SQL and ETL pipelines
- Experience with Tableau, Metabase, SQL or other reporting tools
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!