Convoy, one of the fastest growing startups in the U.S., is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Convoy offers the world's largest companies the best option for moving their freight through its network of thousands of technology-connected trucking companies. Shippers get instant quotes, real-time GPS tracking on all shipments, and actionable business analytics to improve their supply chain. Trucking companies get access to free tools and resources that allow them to find loads they want, drive fuller trucks, and get paid quickly. Convoy is growing quickly and hiring in every area. Come join a company that is literally moving the world forward!
Founded in 2015, Convoy is backed by this century's leading disruptors, including the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, Linkedin, Expedia, Dropbox, KKR, Starbucks, and others.
Economists, analysts, and data scientists are at the core of Convoy’s platform. We forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business decisions, design experiments to optimize our services, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. As we scale our data teams, we need experienced managers and technical leaders to mentor and develop our talent.
Convoy’s Operations organization is looking for an experienced data science manager to build our data science team from the ground up. This role sits at the intersection of data science and operations, leading a team that leverages data insights to maximize the impact of our operations teams by defining key metrics, reporting on KPIs, developing optimal staffing models, and improving process through causal inference. As the leader of data science for one of the most important parts of the company, you’ll significantly influence our roadmap to deliver world class service to our customers as efficiently as possible.
You are a strong technical leader passionate about optimizing operations and improving the experience of Convoy’s carriers, shippers, and operations teams. You are an experienced manager, a thought leader with a vision for how to leverage data science to optimize every aspect of a business, and a collaborative partner excited about working cross-functionally to drive rapid change. You thrive in an ambiguous, fast-paced, and dynamic environment, and are excited to help Convoy deliver best-in-class service as efficiently as possible. If you want to think big about optimizing operations, are passionate about data, and want to see a tangible impact of your work, this is the role for you!
- Partner with Operations leaders to help them understand their key drivers
- Develop and deploy metrics to drive results quickly
- A/B test operational processes Be a key voice and advocate for data-driven decision making
- Recruit, retain, develop, and motivate our talent
- Build a diverse and empowered analytics culture
- Create and maintain systems to elevate best practices and demonstrate results in your own contributions
You have the following skills & experience
- BS or Advanced Degree in Operations Research, Statistics, Computer Science or other quantitative subject
- 5+ years of experience leveraging quantitative analysis, analytics, and data science to solve business problems, preferably within a large operations, customer service, or sales organization
- 2+ years of experience managing data scientists/analysts
- SQL Query experience
- Experience with scientific/statistical languages such as R or Python
- Experience in Data Visualization with Tableau or similar software
- Experience working directly with business teams to drive results; bonus for experience in Operations or Customer Support.
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Excellent presenter, influencer, and writer
- You are a leader and will speak up where needed