Senior Economist, Network Efficiency at Convoy
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:07 a.m. (PST) on Thursday, January 7, 2021
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
Data Science is at the core of Convoy’s platform. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. We also forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business decisions, design statistical and machine learning models to optimize our product, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. The breadth of the problems space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, causal inference, experimental design, econometrics, and prediction domains.
We are looking for an experienced Research Scientist/Economist to join the Network Efficiency in Convoy’s Marketplace organization. Optimizing our network of carriers is core to Convoy’s mission to automate the logistics industry. Today, we use machine learning, economic analysis, and operations research to figure out freight prices, shipment relevance for carriers, auction bidding strategy, and other internal processes. However, we’ve only begun to scratch the surface of possibilities across our transportation network - efficient load bundling, improving and fleet optimization are new frontiers that are central to Convoy’s success.
- Design causal inference strategies to measure the impact of features on our network of connected shipments.
- Build frameworks to analyze and understand marketplace and supply-side dynamics
- Design, build, and analyze econometric models to answer business questions and provide solutions for how to optimize our two-sided marketplace.
- Design, deploy, and analyze experiments in a production environment
We’re looking for someone who has:
- PhD in Economics, Statistics, or highly related field
- Minimum of 3+ years of post-PhD experience in a dynamic business environment
- Expertise in causal inference
- Strong technical programming ability with an emphasis on Python and/or R
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Nice to haves:
- Experience building and applying machine learning models
- Experience building and deploying models and experiments in a production environment
- Experience with two-sided markets and other economic theory
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!