Senior Research Associate, Sourcing Operations at PitchBook
At PitchBook we work to provide global professionals with comprehensive data on the entire venture capital, private equity and M&A landscape so they can discover and execute opportunities with confidence. We credit our success and rapid growth to our cutting-edge products, customer centered attitude and ability to embrace and drive change.
In just over a decade, PitchBook has reached over 1,000 global employees with offices worldwide, and we're not slowing down! Consistently recognized as a Best Place to Work, our culture is at the heart of our success and is driven by excellence, inclusion and fun. At PitchBook we're committed to fostering an open and collaborative work environment.
Are you the type of person who communicates well and loves finding answers to challenging questions? Are you looking for a role where you can make an impact, create channels of communication with industry leaders, and join a rapidly growing company that has opportunities at the next level for high performers across several departments? If so, we'd love to talk!
Summary of role: Nearly everyone in Research starts as a Research Associate. In this role you will join one of our data set teams with an initial focus on mastering our data management tool and data collecting processes. Once mastered, you will create processes and methodologies for data collection across different data sets and initiatives to further grow our platform. The focus will be on sourcing research, which is the evaluation of data sources, filings, and registries across all our core data sets and regions and providing insights to stakeholders around coverage and competitive positioning. This learning process and growth of industry knowledge creates a pathway for our Sourcing Operations Research Associates to grow into Senior Research Associates and Dataset Leads within Research or a variety of roles on other teams at PitchBook.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Building out comprehensive reports and repositories of the Research department's sourcing landscape and support new data initiatives.
- Creating processes to efficiently gather and extract information from public filing registries.
- Tracking and entering high volumes of data on private companies, venture capital, private equity, M&A and institutional investors into the PitchBook Platform.
- Reviewing previously-researched information to provide feedback to other researchers and ensure quality
- Designing analysis to uncover root causes of systemic data problems and internal software issues
- Developing scalable processes, methodologies and software tools that promote efficiency
- Leveraging technology-based tools to ensure that proprietary data is added to the PitchBook Platform efficiently and with the utmost quality
- Working with team to develop and improve processes, tools and methodologies
- Taking on projects to identify opportunities to improve upon the core quality metrics (comprehensiveness, accuracy, timeliness)
- Becoming an expert in PitchBook's core research areas of private equity, venture capital and M&A through dedicated training.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A high attention to detail
- Logical and data-driven approaches to questions
- Believe anything below excellent isn't good enough and expect the same from those on your team
- Good communication skills, both verbal and in written materials, targeting an audience all the way up to the executive level
- Incessant curiosity and innovative thinking
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Have solid experience working with one of the following: Excel, Tableau, SQL, or project management.
- Interest in the private equity, venture capital and M&A industries
- 1 – 2 years professional experience, which might be in the form of an internship
- Bachelor's degree required