Senior Research & Customer Insights Manager
Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company providing text messaging to businesses across North America through cloud-based software and a best-in-class API solution. One of the 10 fastest-growing companies in Seattle as ranked by Inc., Zipwhip invented the technology that enables businesses to text using their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number and communicate with consumers the modern way.
Zipwhip is aggressively investing in our people, product offerings and processes. We are backed by Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing rapid growth in both employees and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
Zipwhip employees come to work every day (to one of Seattle's coolest offices) inspired and ready to live out our DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. If you want to be part of an organization where highly motivated thinkers are empowered to change the way we communicate with the world around us, then we'd like to hear from you.
What we're looking for:
If you are creative, solutions-driven and have an innate way to solve problems with research and data, you'll love this position. It's a unique opportunity to guide and inspire senior leadership by developing a deep data driven understanding of the problems and unmet needs of our current and future customers, to inform product and marketing strategies, and drive great design and innovation.
We want you to raise the bar to ensure the highest standards are met across diverse research objectives and methodologies. To be successful in this role, you’ll be a great collaborator, need a good balance of strategy and tactical execution, as well as sharp communication and storytelling skills, always recognizing that the true measure of success is business impact.
What's the job really?
- Starting from scratch, this position will create and implement the framework and roadmaps for all product-related research, strategic ad-hoc research initiatives, and UX/UI research
- Devise and curate a mixed-methods approach to gathering both generative and evaluative feedback on UX/UI designs and product concepts. Methods may include: in-lab and field studies, online surveys, usability tests, card sorting, moderated and unmoderated remote testing, participatory design, experience mapping, heuristic evaluations, in-depth user interviews, as well as stakeholder interviews
- You will supervise a user research manager, and be hands-on and accountable for directly conducting research projects yourself, designing research instruments (surveys, discussion guides) and sampling techniques to gather data with the highest standards
- Work collaboratively with our data scientist, business intelligence, and the marketing analytics teams to ensure high quality and maximized impact to effectively communicate research insights and recommendations across Zipwhip
- You'll seek out open questions and develop fuzzy unknowns into formal research plans that will empower your team to gain meaningful insights into their customers
What you bring to the table:
- 7+ years of relevant quantitative and qualitative market research and analytics experience in a technology company with a strong foundation in HCI methodologies
- Mastery of marketing research questionnaire design and sample selection is required
- Deep experience with evaluative qualitative research (e.g. in-person and remote usability & user testing, lab studies, RITE studies, intercept interviews, task analysis etc.)
- Ability to synthesize and distill large amounts of qualitative survey comments (verbatims) into themes. Familiarity with machine learning tools and/or text analytics a plus
- An understanding of user-centered design principles and UX best practices
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills, and a strong sense of independence, ownership, and initiative; ability to determine what to work on, how to accomplish it, and when to deliver
- Exceptional written communication skills, especially in story-telling
- Master’s or PhD degree preferred in a relevant field such as human computer interaction (HCI), statistics, or market research. However, successful relevant industry experience is paramount.
What we offer:
- A fun, lively startup culture and one of Seattle's coolest offices, located across the street from Safeco Field
- Core values-based leadership
- A culture of employee engagement-lively weekly company updates as 1 example
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Complimentary access to a fitness center
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages, a subsidized cafeteria with lunch made fresh every day, and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs
- Complimentary shuttle access to office from King Street Station, Ferry Terminal and Yesler/Occidental
Zipwhip values an inclusive and diverse team.