Senior Research Science Manager, Marketplace Demand at Convoy
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:04 a.m. (PST) on Thursday, October 22, 2020
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
We are looking for an experienced data science leader to drive the science roadmap and project execution of the Marketplace Demand organization’s long-term procurement auctions team. This team owns Convoy’s core models, platforms, and tooling for optimizing our participation in and strategy for contract freight procurement auctions, including forecasting, risk management, bid optimization, and shipper behavior modeling, delivering substantial impact to Convoy’s business. In this role you will work closely with scientists, product managers, engineers, and cross-functional business partners in defining Convoy’s science and product strategy for this space and guiding the science team’s delivery of models, experiments, and analyses.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- MS/PhD in economics, quant finance, statistics, mathematics, operation research, or other quantitative subjects
- 5+ years of experience in a dynamic business environment, with at least 3 years working as an individual contributor data scientist, economist, quant, or ML scientist
- 2+ years of experience managing data scientists, economist, ML scientist, and/or operations research scientists.
- Comfortable in SQL and proficiency in at least one high level programming language (i.e. Python, R, etc)
- Demonstrated ability to create and drive technical and impactful roadmaps for the business, and lead execution against them
- Understanding of model development in production environments
- Ability to identify critical business problems and create analytical/modeling solutions
Nice to haves:
- Expertise in forecasting, simulation, optimization, and/or IO economics
- Experience with two-sided markets and other economic concepts
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!