Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
About the team:
The Automated Brokerage team owns Convoy’s core models for matching carriers and freight. We find the best truck for every job - automatically. We use the power of auctions to provide fairness, value and efficiency. Any registered carrier can participate, the most efficient and highest quality carrier wins, and it all happens in a hassle-free platform. To ensure our auctions scale, we use predictive and prescriptive models to anticipate consequences, optimize decisions and continuously learn.
A seasoned research scientist with experience building production level, real-time machine learning models and a passion for creating efficiencies in a two-sided marketplace. You will own the core models for our matching system. You will not only drive continuous innovation and improvement in our systems, but also set the vision for the future of our matching system.
- Lead research initiatives for auction design and optimization, marketplace dynamics, and supply side optimization.
- Develop and improve machine learning and/or reinforcement learning models
- Leverage communication and personal management skills to achieve outcomes.
- Work effectively as a thought partner in a cross-functional team of product management, engineering, economists, data science and more.
We're looking for someone who has:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience doing predictive modeling and machine learning in a production setting
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Applied Math/OR, Engineering, Economics, or related quantitative subject
- Experience with Python for machine learning
- Experience with deep learning toolkits and frameworks
- Experience with SQL and/or Big Data Tools
- Experience disambiguating business problems and leading projects independently end-to-end in a business environment
Nice to haves:
- Experience with two-sided marketplaces, financial markets and economic theory
- Experience in causal inference and experimentation
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!