Who we are:
Convoy, one of the fastest growing startups in the U.S., is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Convoy offers the world's largest companies the best option for moving their freight through its network of thousands of technology-connected trucking companies. Convoy is growing quickly and hiring in every area. Come join a company that is literally moving the world forward!
Data Science is at the core of Convoy’s platform. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. We also forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business decisions, design statistical and machine learning models to optimize our product, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. The breadth of the problems space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, causal inference, experimental design, econometrics, and prediction domains. We have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for an experienced Research Scientist/Economist to join the Contract Team in Convoy’s Marketplace organization. This team owns Convoy’s core models and systems for contract price optimization and long-term forecasting, areas of strategic importance to Convoy. This role has the potential to unlock significant value for the company as we double-down on the fundamental models at the heart of our business.
You will work on:
- Long and medium range forecasting
- Forecast explainability
- Small, yet complex, internal and external data sources
- Intersection of causal inference, forecasting, optimization, and machine learning
- Developing, improving and maintaining cross discipline predictive and causal models/algorithms beyond forecasting (e.g. ML, Econometrics, Optimization)
You have the following skills and experience:
- PhD in Statistics, Econometrics, or related field
- 5+ years of post PHD experience in a dynamic business environment, applied research or government.
- 2+ years of experience in forecasting science (including state space, panel, ARIMA, and/or time series forecasting) in a highly applied or business setting.
- A passion for building robust, interpretable, and actionable models and forecasts
- Expertise with Python and/or R (Ideally both)
- Expertise in causal inference
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms applied to forecasting
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
Nice to Have:
- Understanding of model development in production environments
- Experience with two-sided markets and other economic theory
- Experience building and applying machine learning models
Candidates must be eligible to work at Convoy HQ in Seattle.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we are actively seeking a diverse team. If you are a collaborative teammate who wants to have an outsized impact with a small, tight-knit team, we'd love to hear from you.