Want to help travelers plan, book and experience trips they’ll remember forever?
We at Expedia Group are growing our AI and ML capabilities to help our millions of customers navigate the increasingly complex world of travel – whether it’s to enjoy a family getaway to a local destination, experience the thrill of visiting another country, or booking a business trip to connect with co-workers or clients.
The AI and ML Core Engineering team is looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer, who will be responsible for designing and building platform capabilities that power our AI and ML ecosystem. As a senior engineer, you will be responsible for the technical direction of your project. You’ll have the opportunity to recommend and use cutting edge technologies and add to open-source projects in which we’re active. Since this is a growing team, we want you to contribute to the career development of junior developers and be an advocate for the talent on your team.
We don't need you to be equally strong in all areas, but it is important that you be comfortable with your ability to do all these things, and if you are exceptionally good at some of them we look forward to seeing you at your best.
Develop various facets of our AI/ML platform to support algorithmic features and machine learning experiments
Provide data & ML solutions for data science projects which span multiple organizations with ambiguous data definitions and varying levels of data quality
Serve as a subject matter expert by leading data modeling and ML pipelining efforts for any new components in the ML life cycle
Possess the ability to explore ambiguous and open-ended problems, create a vision, and rally others around it
Analyze and resolve production support issues in cooperation with the Operations team and other developers
Ensure that all code that your team produces is rigorously tested in an automated fashion (we encourage TDD/BDD)
Work closely with product owners to define roadmaps and backlogs
Work in an agile team and look for ways to continuously improve through asking and providing feedback
Develop secure, maintainable, scalable components as part of a wider team through pair programming and code reviews
Good ideas and solutions can come from anyone — see past hierarchy to solve problems and give voice to more junior employees
Always on the lookout for opportunities to improve developer productivity — for example, by improving build times, simplifying code, streamlining processes, or finding better communication channels
Education and professional experience guidelines:
- Most important - a hunger to learn! We want people who are curious and eager to develop new skills
- 5 years of software development experience including designing, building, deploying, troubleshooting, and maintaining highly scalable and fault tolerant data pipelines or micro services
- Expertise in Java, Scala or similar object-oriented languages and/or Python or other scripting languages
- Expertise in SQL, no SQL, data warehouse, big data processing technologies, such as AWS Data Lake, HDFS, HIVE, Spark, Qubole or similar
- Hands-on experience with real-time steaming technologies, such as Kafka or AWS Kinesis
- Proficiency in ML tools and technologies is a plus: TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, DataBricks or similar
- Proficiency in any of these is a plus: AWS, Docker, Kubernetes or similar
- A passion for researching new and varied technologies to solve challenging business problems by quickly developing proofs of concept
- Experience building productive teams and collaborating with SMEs in other locations
- Experience mentoring others and helping them reach a new level in their career
- The ability to influence other teams and your leadership without needing to be given authority to do so
- The ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across locations and time zones
- Know when to ask for help, but rarely be blocked waiting for it
- A passion to thrive in a fast-paced environment
Why Join Us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.