Senior Software Engineer - Big Data
The online travel market is a $2 trillion industry that never stands still. Expedia Global Payments team (EGP) provides and operates software solutions that enable payment processing between Expedia and its network of customers and partners. This includes payment methods that Expedia brands offer to customers around the world and the payment options that Expedia uses to support effective relationships with partners and suppliers. We process billions of dollars in customer and partner transactions every month.
Why build your career with the EGP group? We offer a chance to work with the brightest minds in the travel business in an energetic and international work environment focused on innovation, creative problem-solving and collaboration.
In this role you will a part of the Payments Business Intelligence team and play a significant role in advancing Expedia’s analytics capabilities. As an important part of the EGP division, the Payments Business Intelligence team is responsible for building and maintaining the EGP data warehouse as well as delivering analytic insights, reports and self-service tools to global stakeholders.
We are looking for a driven, dynamic individual with a proven track record of developing Big Data solutions. The ideal candidate will have a solid experience developing modern data solutions in Amazon Web Services and have a solid understanding of traditional data warehousing paradigms.
What you’ll do
- Gather, document, and analyze business requirements; produce development estimates
- Design, develop, test and deploy data collection, flow and transformation components
- Troubleshoot and support existing data workflow processes; deliver fixes and optimizations where appropriate
- Drives consensus on design/delivery
- Participates in identifying/solving problems at the program and group level
- Partner with BI users, software engineers and operations specialists on data related investigations, research and issue management
- Helps prioritize work for the team in the absence of a manager
Who you are
- Passion for improving business outcomes through Big Data and Analytics
- Experience building data solutions with Amazon Web Services, such as S3, EMR, Redshift and RDS
- Experience building AWS infrastructure preferred
- Expertise with Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc.)
- Outstanding SQL scripting and ETL skills
- Strong understanding of traditional Data Warehousing principles and architecture
- Experience with scripting languages like Bash, PowerShell, or Python
- *nix and/or Windows in an enterprise environment
- Experience with report applications like Tableau, QlikSense, and QlikView a plus
- Experience working in an Agile/SCRUM model
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Background in e-commerce or payment technologies is strongly preferred
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders and effectively handle multiple tasks/deadlines with success
- Bachelor's degree in a technology or a related discipline is preferred
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.