Software Development Engineer (Data Engineering Team)
As a Software Development visionary, are you working on new technologies, surrounded by disruptive problem solvers, or working with game-changers? We are. At Expedia, our team is leading the way in delivering Big Data solutions. The only question is; “will you come along for the ride?”
The Expedia Data Products and Platforms team is currently looking for talented and highly motivated Software Development Engineers with a heavy programming and analysis background. As part of this team, you will be responsible for the delivery of solutions on top of the Big Data platforms implementation and will be playing a key role in this huge technology pivot. You will not only help train our existing staff making the leap over to our new technologies, but you will also empower the team to approach problems differently. These solutions drive business value from powering the most critical business decisions to powering how the site behaves through various avenues of personalization. This entails working with the delivery team and business partners to flesh out requirements, complete solution design, development and ultimate delivery to the end consumers.
- You will understand business rules; define and develop applications/ architecture, perform source to target data mapping, design, review, implement and optimize Data Engineering and ETL processes.
- You will actively be involved in reviews on development and test specifications. Perform data analysis, provide development/QA support for existing systems, and troubleshoot data and/or system issues within the Data Warehouse environment as well as upstream systems, as needed.
- You will drive investigations across the organizations and deliver resolution of technical, procedural, and/or operational issues to completion and ensure customer satisfaction.
- You will develop test plans/cases, conditions and scenarios in support of ongoing business system applications and infrastructure.
- You will provide timely and appropriate communication to business owners, business partners, and users on issue status and resolution.
- Strong Background in Data warehousing principles, architecture and its implementation in large environments.
- Experience in data engineering applications and products in AWS or any cloud provider.
- Data engineering/ETL Design and Development knowledge using Hadoop or Spark
- Experience with AWS (Dynamo DB, Lambda, or S3).
- Hands-on experience on programming (Java, Python, or Scala), and to perform data/file manipulation using Shell scripting.
- Experience using no-SQL technologies and Big Data platforms such as HBASE or Cassandra; strong development skills around Hadoop, Hive, Map Reduce.
- Hands-on experience using Database procedural languages such as SQL, PL/SQL, T-SQL; database scripting in Oracle or Teradata.
- Hands-on experience with test practices and processes; test automation, test coverage and user acceptance testing.
- Exposure to Object-oriented design, distributed computing, performance/scalability tuning, advanced data structures and algorithms, real time analytics and large scale data processing.
- Exposure to ETL Development tools such as Informatica, Stonebranch, Airflow, SSIS, SSRS, DataServices.
- Experience working in Agile/SCRUM model.
- Ability to design multi-platform solutions.
- Excellent collaboration with customers, including crisp and compelling verbal and written communication.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment and stay motivated/flexible.
- Ability to work cross functionally to resolve technical, procedural, and operational issues.
Education and Work Experience:
- MS/ME/BS/BE/B Tech degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in data warehouse technologies.
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.