Software Development Engineer II at Expedia Group
Expedia’s Conversations Platform and Customer Engagement (CPCE) Technology team is dedicated to driving technology innovation to create effortless customer experiences worldwide in Expedia Group apps, web sites, support channels, and contact centers via our Virtual Agent Platform. We support over 80 million customer interactions a year and over 12,000 agents – across a global brand portfolio and workforce.
We are seeking a skilled Software Development Engineer to design, develop, and implement data visualizations and self-service tools that will put key information at the fingertips of our decision makers. This role will interact with all facets and levels of the organization to define requirements, develop solutions, and drive value using an agile development process. You'll be both technically and functionally building a business intelligence platform from the ground up. Collaboration with and contribution to a multi-functional team will be key to successful delivery of business requirements.
As a member of the Booking Data Engineering team, you will have the opportunity to push the boundaries of cloud data technologies. From Apache Spark, and AWS Glue, to Kafka, AWS Lambda, Redshift, and Kinesis, we’re always looking for the right technology to scale our data lake. You will set the example as we build for the long-term, with a focus on design patterns, reusability, and robust engineering practices including CI/CD. This role requires an energetic attitude, creative problem solving, a passion for technology and data, superb communication, relationship building skills, as well as flexibility in approach and design.
What you'll do:
- Customer Engagement: Accountable for partnering with business stakeholders to provide them the ability to make decisions and gain insights through data visualization and reporting. This would include requirements gathering, iterations, visualization best-practices, design, deployment, and on-going enhancements.
- Innovation: Drive value with innovative solutions and deliver improved-upon methods of data presentation by focusing on the business need and the business value of the solution.
- Data Querying: Autonomously write SQL at an expert level to mine data that and then can be communicated or translated to peer ETL developers for database development.
- BI Development: Expert with report development, dashboard development, SQL queries, and meta-data layers. Experience with Agile development methodology is required.
- Problem Solving: Lead peers and partners as a SME through troubleshooting, analysis of results, Production Support, and identification of opportunities to solve Business problems through BI.
- Storytelling: Solve Business challenges by leading the translation of data, impact of that data, and be able to effectively communicate the story that the deliverable tells or the problem that the deliverable solves.
- Leadership: Inspire team members by being a visionary leader, providing peer support, and constantly challenging the team for the best results.
Who you are:
- Experience with Agile development methodology. The ability to work under stress, to fixed deadlines and a flexible approach to working hours (when required) to meet deadlines.
- Understand data visualization concepts and methodologies. Methodical, accurate and with attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent degree/experience. 5-8 years’ experience with Business Intelligence/Analysis and Data Warehousing with 4+ years’ experience in data visualization tools.
- Expert level knowledge on relational databases (e.g., MySQL, SQL Server, Snowflake) as well as experience with Qubole Data Services or Elastic Map Reduce.
- Experience with Cloud technology (AWS or similar).
- Proficiency in a development language (Python or similar). Skills in Machine Learning, Predictive Analytics, R and Statistical Analysis is preferred.
Why Join Us?
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
*LI-LB2Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.