Postmates enables anyone to have just about anything on-demand. We pioneered the on-demand space and currently serve 4200+ cities with a fleet of more than 500,000 Postmates and the largest network of merchants in the US. We’re changing the landscape of commerce by making cities our warehouses, providing the delivery infrastructure, and connecting our customers to any product, anywhere, anytime. Postmates isn’t just an app, it’s a way of life and a part of pop culture. We are the O.G. of on-demand and we’ve given people a new superpower — the ability to Postmate anything from anywhere. We’re building a movement to make Postmates a verb: Postmate it.WHAT WE DO
Postmates relies heavily on our engineering team to realize this vision. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales, and stays agile under demanding product needs is a serious technical challenge. Postmates is a three-part balancing act connecting customers, merchants, and couriers in real-time. If any piece is out of whack, the whole system suffers. Working with the Postmates engineering team offers an opportunity with explosive growth, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter, and a cool user-focused product vision.
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to work on various challenging machine learning and optimization problems in real-time and in scale, including:
- Modeling and forecasting demand and supply to enable more intelligent matching, optimize the overall marketplace efficiency, and provide valuable insights to our merchants and Postmates
- Large scale Machine Learning algorithms and infrastructure that powers our Search Ranking models and Personalized Recommendation Engine
- Predicting the Postmates Delivery Time (PDT) and improving the efficiency (batching, chaining, etc) and reliability of the dispatching algorithm
- Determining the optimal pricing strategies to help our Postmates maximize their revenue
- Identifying suspicious transactions and malicious users for risk control
- Natural Language Processing to understand text content on Postmates platform, including named entity resolution and recognization of reviews, descriptions and interactions between users on our marketplace
- Build end-to-end ML systems of designing, training, testing and deploying Machine Learning models
- Write production-level codes to train your ML models into working pipelines and services to serve production online traffic
- Have the ability to apply machine learning to solve complex business problems and optimize critical business metrics, and work closely with Product Managers and Data analysts to frame Machine Learning problems within the business context
- Analyze experimental and observational data, communicate findings, and facilitate launch decisions
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical field
- 3+ years of professional experience in Data Science or Applied Machine Learning required
- Solid engineering and coding skills with the ability to write high-performance production quality code
- Good understanding of common families of machine learning models, feature engineering, feature selection and other practical machine learning issues, such as overfitting
- Strong communication skills. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, data analysts, and other engineers shouldn’t be a problem for you.
- Industry experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end Machine Learning systems
- Experience in Java, C++, Go, Python, Scala and other equivalent languages
- Experience with MapReduce, Spark, Hive, HBase, Airflow, Google BigQuery, BigTable, and Dataflow
- Experience with ML frameworks like Tensorflow, PyTorch, Spark MLlib, XGBoost, and Scikit-Learn
Postmates has your back. In our impact-first work environment, we value huge company vision. As you strive to build the future with us, we’ll support you with:
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan.
- Access to the Postmates 401(k) plan.
- 100% coverage for employees medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 95% coverage for dependents medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for qualified out-of-pocket health care costs.
- Flexible time off policy under which Postmates will not limit paid time off for vacations or to handle personal affairs. (Salaried US Employees)
- 16 days paid time off and 7 days paid sick leave (Hourly US Employees; amount of paid sick leave depends on state).
- 3 days paid time to volunteer through CivicLabs and positively impact the communities we serve.
- Generous parental leave including flexible transition plans, Postmates meal credit, and subsidized access to the Milk Store, Urban Sitter, and Concern.
- Free and confidential counseling resources through an Employee Assistance Program.
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefits for parking or transit fees.
- A free subscription to Postmates Unlimited.
- Catered lunches, open snack bar, and subsidized Postmates Pickup meals.